Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My 52f/56r swap - Phase 2: Action

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTMike, May 25, 2005.

1. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Over the last week or so, a couple nights a week after work, we've been at it. Joe & I have spent about 10-12 working hours to get to the point we're at (half of which was removing that damned front bumper)

Right now we have the front hangers mocked into place and held with 3 bolts. The rear of the springs are resting on the frame for the time being. After getting the springs mocked into place, we noticed the driverside sat 1" - 1.5" higher than the pass side, and we discovered that we put 1 spring in "frontwards" and one in "backwards" :blush: At least it's an easy fix :D

Enough chatter, here's the pics:

[​IMG]
    The old center pin broke off inside of the spring perch. That was fun :mad:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yeah, the body lift needs to come out....

[​IMG]
    No ugly bumper :D

We start back up after Memorial Day! We will get the driver side spring turned aruond the right way and get the front hangers completley bolted in, and get the shackle hangers moved. Then I can measure and order my driveline and give Trevor at WFO the measurements for my draglink. After that, we iron out the other details like front shocks, etc.

More pics to come then...

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I'm interested to see how the rear hanger move goes. I remember that K5-newbie had shackle angle issues at first so he had to adjust the position of the hanger.

Anyway, looking forward to the next installment! The truck should be really nice when you're done. :thumb:

3. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

Im in the process of doing the same swap but have one question, what size bolts are those on the front hanger, Im about to run to the store and dont feel like buying a couple different bolt sizes and play the guessing game

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

The parts list is in the write-up in the tech section. I don't recall 100% off the top of my head, but 7/16" x 1" grade 8 IIRC. 1.25" wouldn't have hurt at all either.

5. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

and I see that your running overloads up front, any reason or just kinda peace of mind so you dont bend the front springs

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Pretty much, yeah. I'm gonna try them, if I don't like it with them in there than i can always pull them out pretty easilly.