Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My 6.2 Sub clicking start

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 78 k5, Jul 20, 2005.

1. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

about 1/4 of the times i try to crank my sub. i just get clicking and the other half it starts right up. any clues? (1990 6.2 Burb) I've been thinking of switching to the 6.5 starter think this will solve the prob? Also, I'm in south Alabama and its hot as balls down here so i guess this could have a little to do with it? any help is appreciated.

2. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

Mine ocasionally makes that noise too. At first i had to substitute my the keyed ignition "start" with a momentary toggle switch. Then it started doing it again with the toggle switch and it eventually burned out the switch. So i just replaced it again with a high amped button. Hope this helps.

3. 82dieselburb

82dieselburb 1/2 ton status

First I would check your battery connections.My suburban use to do that sometimes untill I changed a bad battery connection.

4. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

agree

yeah, battery connections are def. a first on the to do list. I forgot how bad mine were at one time. Gave me a ton of trouble.

5. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

I cleaned up the cables today and now I'm getting less of a click...sometimes it doesn't make any noise, and it wont start at all. I've hooked up to another truck on jumper cables and nothing. WTF, starter sticking? help?

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

solenoid wire?

Check the purple wire to the solenoid,it activates it when you turn the key to "start"...it might have a bad connection or gangrene,and it wont deliver enough amps to kick in the solenoid..could be the copper disc inside the solenoid too,or a bad ground or battery cable...partially fried fusible links can cause this too.. :crazy:

7. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

Threw in a new red top Optima and a new cheapo aux. battery, and new 2 gauge cables all around and she cranked right up with absolutely no hesitation.

Thanks for the help guys

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had the same trouble over a period of a few days and almost got stranded at work because of it. Had a bad spot in one of the battery cables.

I ended up replacing all the cables with 2 gauge, as well as installing a new starter. Works great now :rolleyes:

Rene

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Always put too similar batteries. This is not an auxiliary battery, they work together all the time and if not equal one will drain the other.
    2 el cheapo are better than an optima and an el cheapo.
    :doah:
    IceMan

10. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

should I un-hook the cheapo and just run the optima then????????