Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My 700R4 ate it; now what?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Dec 6, 2001.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Okay, my 700R4 is eating sh*t! This is my daily driver, but I still have looked at the TH350 and TH400. What should I do? I can pick up a freshly rebuilt 700R4 w/ corvette servo's and HD clutch packs for $700. What can I get a rebuilt 400 or 350 for? How much would my highway milage go down if I got a 400 or 350? I just need opinions as to what you all would do! I eventually will spice up my motor to about 340hp and 420lb.ft. but I am also gonna get a bigger cooler. I don't tow anyting and if i ever to it will only be a couple of dirt bikes or PWC's...JUst throw out your opinions here guys...I need to figure this carp out (which tranny for my needs). If i go to a 400 or 350, then there is tha tadded expense of making it work with my 208 t-case. so what do ya think?

Chris

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]
    Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red>

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you go with the 350 or 400 you will also need to have your driveshafts lengthened (rear) shortened (front) because the 350 and 400 are shorter then the 700R-4 if I remember right. Along with possibly moving the tcase crossmember. You would be best off getting the rebuilt 700 w/corvette servo's.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. fortcollinsram

Thats what I was thinkin. PLus I love the driveability on the highway...esp. for when I get 35" w/ 4.56 in there

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]

4. Hossbaby50

What are you going to do to her over xmas?

5. fortcollinsram

I am going to do the ball joints, wheel bearings, brakes, new tires...basically just some drivetrain TLC[​IMG] I'm gonna try not to spend too much money over break so I can get that 700R4 *hopefully*. I already bought the ball joints so I'm good to go there...Plus I'm gonna start my search for a 14B FF...

6. Hossbaby50

Sounds good. When I get home to see my truck, I hope to add the ORD 1" add a leaf in the rear to level my truck. Also I want to do the SS brake line, and the ORD 1/4" extended front shackle and greaseable bushing kit.
    Oh ya, I'm thinkin about changing the front axle joinst, and wheel bearings too.
    My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Hossbaby50 on 12/06/01 04:40 PM.</FONT></P>

7. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Where can you get this 'built' 700r4 for $700? In the bay area they want well over $1k to do this. Is this just a case of location, location, location?

8. fortcollinsram

You'll have to e-mail some pics of her sometime[​IMG] I have a list that goes on and on what I want to do to it...doesn't everyone? Have you been out to that Mark Turner shop on Mulberry near I-25? that guy is pretty cool...we'll have to go out there some time...

9. Hossbaby50

No, I havn't been out there yet. Give me a ring next time you head out there. The only shop I knew of is the one on North College, but they looked like a bunch of posers. Never been there either though. I have pics of her here, but I don't have a scanner. I took some pics over Thanksgiving.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

11. fortcollinsram

JEKBROWN,

I'd do swap in the raptor in a heartbeat but i don't have $1400. I bout the rig and that pretty much wiped me clean out of cash...paying my tuition doesn't help either.

Chris

12. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I just put in a GM cert. tranny 3yr/50,000 mile tranny nationwide. Its a 700r4. If you decide to put in another tranny go for a th400. The th350 is the same strenght as the 700r4, other than the od in the 700 is really crappy.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

13. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

just keep in mind, that depending on the T-case you may need new out put shaft if you ditch the tranny but keep the 208(?) just another reason to get a built 700

Tork DSR
    "look ma, i can make the dog pee white...."
    aol screen name TorkDSR
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.torkpig.homestead.com>http://www.torkpig.homestead.com</a>

14. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If you want your tranny fixed for next to nothing shoot me an email. It runs about 100 bucks to rebuild one where I work. Let me know. I am East of you a ways by Limon, Colorado.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A TH 350 is a LOT stronger than a stock 700R4.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

TH 350 is FAR stronger than a 700R4.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

17. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I would just stick with the rebuilt 700. Especially if you are strapped for cash, it's a daily driver (including highway), and you can't afford a lot of downtime. Remember, going to a non-overdrive will increase your highway RPMs by 30%. That's a pretty big jump. You'll feel it in the pocketbook. Swapping a 350 or 400 in for a 700 isn't just a clean swap. It will require crossmember, driveshaft, and tcase mods. Doesn't sound like it would be worth it to you at this time. Maybe something you plan for later.

My 700 has been rebuilt once. It was done about 30,000 miles ago. It now has over 140,000 miles total on it and is still running strong. Just keep an eye on the fluid and the heat. I am installing a second tranny cooler this spring to help mine. I am also installing a deep, finned aluminum TCI pan for mine here in the next few weeks. It will give me almost 50% more fluid capacity and help keep it cooler. Not a bad idea either.

Take care of it and it will last you. As with many parts on your K5, you could built it "bulletproof" by sticking in a 400 and have it last a lot longer with full abuse (like a 14BFF axle). Or, you can wheel reasonably, perform good maintenance, and take care of things, and it will last you a long time.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

For simplicity and no drive train mods stick with the 700r4.
    I dont think I would go with the vett servos though. They were designed around a light weight Corvette not a heavy Blazer. I have heard from many sources That Vette servos dont work well in Truck applications.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>

19. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

No its not. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in a 700r4 and th350 are exactly the same strength. The only part about the 700r4 being weaker is od because there are only a few clutchs and bands in it. If you never use od then it is the same strength. I have seen just as many th350 gernade as the 700r4 in racing.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

20. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

keep in mind that PATC offers lots of variations on the 700R4 other than just the raptor. You can "custom order" your 700. A stock rebuilt goes for about $700 with a 6 month unlimited mileage warranty. You can start adding from there ... corvette (or better) servos, better clutches/bands, better flow (cooling), etc.

I've been there, and seen them in action ... it's a class act and they know their sh!t ... with alot of the practical knowledge applied to drag racing. Give them a call .. ask for doug ... tell him pete harris sentcha