Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my 700r4 tranny

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DALE, Oct 17, 2000.

1. DALE

DALE Registered Member

i just got back from the tranny shop and the guy told me that my front pump seal is leaking. it will cost $500 to replace.the tranny guy recommended that the tranny will need to be rebuilt real soon. he said he would do it for $1200 and make it bulletproof.he has been doing trannys for 20 years.is that a good price?what should i do,remember the tranny is original, ten years old.do you guys have any good ideas what i should do because money don't grow on tree's.also i heard if you put a little brake fluid in the tranny it will swell the seals and the leak will stop.????

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

$500 to replace a seal?
    In my old truck I had it rebuilt 2 times in a year and a half...supposedly "Bullet Proof" but both people did it for $1000 not $1500. Finally when I sold the truck I put in a new tranny from the junkyard, they gave me a 1 year warranty on it and I got it for $550. I guess I'm saying that sounds kinda high to me.

[​IMG]
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

For $1500, you can get a B&M 700r4 bulletproof. But thats just too much money. I have seen them in the paper already re-built for as low as $400. I'd look around first. But it really depends on what you wanna do with it. I have rebuilt a 700 before and I wouldn't say that it should cost anywhere near that much to do. The kit costs less that $100, and it took me less than a day to do it. You figure the labor costs, but I don't figure anything close to $1200. Hope this helped.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

4. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

Hey! If it's bulletproof and he's such a great tranny man, he shouldn't have a problem putting a lengthy warranty on it... In which case $1200 wouldn't be that bad... But I doubt that'll be the case. Ditto on rebuilds going for $400 around here.

<font color=red>~BigBurban</font color=red>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Bought a rebuild 2 weeks ago for $323.18 after tax before exchange and ended up keeping the old 1 because it was so hard to find the replacement. Also I was quoted $800-$1200 to rebuild mine. You might ask the guy if it will be any cheaper if you pull, chances r it will be. Bulletproof? I dont think so its like talking to a car salesman(regardless if its a good shop or not) they just want your business and hell whats a better sales pitch than "I can make your tranny bulletproof".
    Try looking for a rebuild and save some cash.[​IMG]

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt my 350 for about $100. First auto trans that I did this too. Heard too much about all these special tools and such. But I figured what the heck. There was nothing to it. I bought a Haynes book and used it as a reference and it took about a half a day from start to finish. Was quoted $850.00 to rebuild it if everything went right. Jet sells their 700R4 rebuilt for about $1600 and it has a full year warranty.
    Word of caution, stay away from the brake fluid trick. It's what people use when they are trying to get rid of a car to a car lot. Works for a very short time, then all the seals let loose.

7. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

Two weeks ago I got quoted 1100 to rebuild my 700 but I forgot to ask if that included a reach-around. The sad part is this was the price if I pulled the tranny and dropped it off at their shop.

Getsome

8. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    4GUN. Please post the phone #, or contact info for the place where you got that 700R4 for $323.18 .
    Thanks alot

9. Executioner

frn96, pleses post where you got a rebuild kit for less than $100, for a 700R4.
    Thanks alot

10. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, it was a place in Virginia Beach when I was in the Navy. That was about 5-6 years ago. So I guess they are a bit more now? But I was refering to just a standard gasket, o-ring, seal kit. Not really a beefer-up kind kit. However I did puchase a Corvette servo shify to go in there, and the damn case had a small crack that I didn't notice, and it blew the side of the case out on the 4th or 5th shift. Talking about a bang for your buck. But if I can remember I will let you know. Too much beer and pot between then and now. The brains cells don't work as a team too much anymore.

11. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok, so Summit sales them for about $200 bones these days. But, still thats nowhere close to helping me figure out where in the hell they come up with the figure 12-1600..
    Does this price come with the reach around and a kiss??
    Cause, hell a tranny is not that hard to rebuild. The shift kits take a little more patience than the rebuild part. Just a bit attention to detail. But most kits come with directions. Follow them, and put everything back in the same order they came out. I had no formal training on it. An I've got a 35K on the last one I rebuilt and sold that car, and the guy hasn't called me cussing. I'm not claiming to be no tranny man or nothing, but that is just flat out too freaking high. P.S. Why can't we cuss on here? Thought all wrench turners cussed like sailors.

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Rebuild kits can be had pretty cheap, but you have to understand what it is that you're putting in there. The kit generally has all of the seals and friction materials. You can get one for $100 from JC Whitney, but that is all that you are getting and the frictions will be lower quality than OEM, but new. To me, the only reason that I would rebuild a tranny and go the cheapest route is if I were just trying to sell the vehicle. This is a big job and while you have the thing open, it is almost dumb to not replace the sprags, upgrade all older parts to the '87 model year parts, replace the torque converter and rebuild the pump. Those are all things that won't come with your rebuild kit. Even the $200-$300 ones. And what do you do when your 100,000 mile torque converter pukes metal all throughout your rebuilt tranny because you saved $100? To do all of this stuff will be at least $200 above and beyond the kit. It is also a good time to do a shift kit, since you'll already have the valve body out.

Not all rebuilds are equal!! Find out what's in there and what's been done to it unless you don't need it to last very long. A "bulletproof" rebuild should involve at least $300 in parts, above and beyond the labor involved. If a tranny shop gets a tranny that is already out of the vehicle, they can put $100 worth of frictions and seals in, give it a decent cleaning and low and behold, a rebuilt tranny appears that can sell for only $300-$400 dollars. This is fine, but just remember that a transmission like this will not give you as many miles or hold up to as much torque as it did when it was new. If at the time you have it apart, you just put a couple hundred more dollars into it, you will likely get twice the effective lifetime out of it. I know that a couple hundred dollars isn't free, but it is a better deal in the long run. I did a lot of research on this before I rebuilt my tranny this summer and my conclusion was that anything that can be upgraded should be (how do you think the 700R-4 got it's reputation as being weak?). I think it cost me $500 dollars in parts, but I got a new servo, rebuilt torque converter, rebuilt oil pump (upgraded+higher flow), shift kit (RV/towing), new sprags (upgraded), all new seals, all new B&M friction materials, temperature gauge, motor home cooler and full lock-up control. It's basically the same thing now that you buy from B&M or JET for $1500 or more. This was still cheaper than doing it twice and cheaper than doing all of these modifications seperately.

Just getting the tranny in and out of a 4WD truck can cost $300 at a shop, so if you can do this yourself, it will save you a lot of money. It is actually half of the work involved for the rebuild anyway.

Somone posted above that it was a breeze to rebuild their 350. Well, I don't know about that, but I can tell you that you shouldn't tackle a 700 unless you have acess to a few special tools or are a decent fabricator. I had to build two tools and modify the apply plate for the 3-4 clutch just to get it to work with my tranny. The Haynes manual was a fabulous aid, but there were some things had to be improvised. Why do think transmission shops are so expensive? Because the mechanics make $100/hr.? Because of all the work involved.

As Mr. Gump would say, "Well, that's all I have to say about that."

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

13. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, blue I agree with you all the way. But it all comes down to what he wants to do with it and how much money he has. All I'm really trying to say is that the labor rates these days are rediculous.(PERIOD)

14. Executioner

Good points, how many hours of bench time does it take to r/r an 1987-88 700R4 ?
    What about a 82-84 700R4 to updade to 87-88 and newer ?
    What about a pro that's been doing it for the last say 5 years ?
    Thanks alot

15. DALE

DALE Registered Member

thanks for your help i will not be putting brake fluid in the tranny. is there any kind of sealer i can put in the tranny to stop the front pump seal from leaking until i can save my money to get the tranny fixed. what should i ask the tranny guy what he will be doing to rebuild my tranny when i have it done.should i have him put a b&m shift kit in or not

16. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Shops charge that much for a 700r4 to cover the future costs of rebuilding it AGAIN under warranty. These are just junk trannys, and no beefing can improve them, IMHO.

ken