Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My 71 ElCamino caught Fire!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 88Silverado, Nov 7, 2003.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I started up the Elky to move it out of the garage for cleaning and as im backing it out I see flames coming out from under the hood I shut it off, grabbed a fire extingusher from the garage, popped the hood and the whole back side of the engine compartment was on fire. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I blasted it. Looks like the fuel hose to the carb cracked and sprayed gas all over the 50kV HEI. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Besides everything being a mess now, looks like damage was minimal. Burned the insulation off the distributor 12V wires and burned a few plug wires too. It melted some of the wire loom on the back firewall and will take apart to look for problems. Also scorched my K&N filter pretty well. I have black soot covering the bottom of hood and some rolled around the outside edges but doesnt look like it burned the paint. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hard to tell until I get all the CO2 cleaned off.

I got lucky. Had this split sometime else while driving or if it started after I shut it off somewhere and not noticed the flames, the car could have been a total loss. The flames were spreading fast as it would with the fuel pump spraying gas out under pressure /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I suggest everyone take a couple of minutes and check the condition of your fuel hoses. Only takes a small crack to cause a total loss /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

My 71 ElCamino

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Man your lucky! I lost my Toronado the same way.

That is one sweet looking ride you got, good luck getting it all cleaned up.
    I'm helping a buddy of mine restore his old elky too, can't recall what year it is, same basic body style with quad headlights though. Those are sweet cars. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

On a related note, if you don't have a battery hold down (bungee cords don't count), install one THIS WEEKEND. I've seen multiple trucks burn up due to flying batteries.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn that sucks glad you got it put out with minimal damage that is a sweet elky /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif