Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My 73 is full time 4x4 and was curious how hard it

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kwcdawgfan, Feb 18, 2001.

1. kwcdawgfan

kwcdawgfan Registered Member

would be to change it over to lock outs... I know it would have to improve the mpg but would the cost or trouble be worth it... Dont know the technical term but mine has high, high loc, neutral, low and low loc... Love the low loc and high loc... They have gotten me out of trouble countless times... If it makes a difference my ride is stock w/ 350 and is a 73k5
    chenneye(sp) ... With the new engine I am getting about 13-15 mpg, which is about the same as my buddies new landcruiser so Im not complaining to much... Just every time I go to fill the beast up...

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Yes it will make more options available to you offroad and improve your MPG on road. You'd need the part time kit for the tcase and manually locking hubs. Very easy to do.
    your shifting positons would be 4hi, 2hi, N, 2low, 4low after the conversion.

3. blazercrazy

blazercrazy Registered Member

I think they make conversion kits, thought not sure

Keep the rubber down [​IMG]

4. blazercrazy

blazercrazy Registered Member

I think they make conversion kits, though not sure

Keep the rubber down [​IMG]

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well I have as yet to see these HUGE MPG gains. I have a 79 that's converted and a 75 that's not. the 75 does eat on the front tires more but the both get about the same MPG and both run close to the same size tire and the 79 does have 3.73 gears but I feel that would help MPG not hurt. The 79 get's 11-12 and the 75 gets 10.
    Now there are 3 kits that I am aware of to convert. One is by superlift or super winch and it's a peice of junk so skip that one. The other 2 are by Mile Marker. The cheap one from Mile Marker has a set of tabs that replace the spider gears in the center diff. That's what's in my 79 and it's been ok but I have noticed it has loosened up over the last couple years and I will have to reshim that tail shaft eventually. The other and by far the best conversion kit has a whole new tail shaft assembly that replaces everything with a machined shaft. It is a much better design and had I known about that kit when I was replacing the Supercrap kit I would have forked out the extra cash.
    The down side is this. The 203 was designed for full time use and the chain is used to sling oil for lubrication. This slung oil also keeps a resivior in the tail shaft full of oil that a pump uses to feed oil to the tail shaft bearing. Once converted you MUST put in loc (with hubs unlocked) about every 200 miles for about 5-10 miles to refill that resivior. Failure to do so will cause the tail shaft bearing to run out of oil and burn up.
    My personal feeling after having one converted and one unconverted...well I have owned my 75 going on 3 years now and it's still not converted....I don't feel it's worth the trouble and I feel part time kit cause several problems that shorten the life of the case by causing lubrication problems. My unconverted 203 runs much quieter than the converted unit and other than the chain being streeched after 250,000 miles of service it has no other issues. I'll be throwing in a new $90 chain this year if I don't convert to a 205.
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

6. kwcdawgfan

kwcdawgfan Registered Member

Thanks grim after reading your comments think I am going to leave it as is... I know I would forget to lock it in every 200 miles and would do more damage than good... Especially on long trips... Plus it sounds like I am getting pretty good mpg with the way it is compared to some of the other post... Also, it will probably go back to being our 3rd vehicle in the near future so it want be that bad.... Thanks for the input

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah that's my feeling. Just keep your tires rotated is the bigest thing and you HAVE to buy 4 tires at a time not 2 now 2 later. if the wear is not the same on all 4 it will cause the tires to wear at a higher rate.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>