Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My 79 crew cab w/ 400/203 combo.....shifting real hard

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, Mar 18, 2003.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I got the truck back to my place and started messing around with it. The 203 is a pain to shift and I can't figure out why. Anyone have any ideas? The 203 other then full time, which I want to make part time and put hubs on the 60. What else is so bad about it? I am being told I have a good truck except for the 203. Thanks Mike

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

203's are generally hard to shift. They have a real crappy linkage w/ everything exposed. You can take it apart and clean it up really well and regrease everything and that should help. I would definetly recommend a part-time kit and a set of hubs!

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The 203s I have had are extremely easy to shift. Maybe your linkage is gummed up or full of mud or something. Also, the 203 is the best transfer case behind the 205. At least it is cast-iron and not aluminum like the 208 and 241s, and the chains in the 203s are 2-3 times WIDER than the 208s & 241s. I have seen 208s split the aluminum cases from too much HP. You will not have this trouble with the 203. Keep your 203. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I got the truck back to my place and started messing around with it. The 203 is a pain to shift and I can't figure out why. Anyone have any ideas? The 203 other then full time, which I want to make part time and put hubs on the 60. What else is so bad about it? I am being told I have a good truck except for the 203. Thanks Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Like was said clean the linkage and grease it but also you need to cheak that it's adjusted correctly.
    When the shifter is in neutral the 2 levers on the side of the Tcase should line up and be vertical, if they do not line up it will be hard or sometimes even impossible to shift it correctly.
    The way to fix it is to unhook the linkage, shift the brakets on the Tcase by hand (it's a little hard since you don't have the leverage of a shifter then put the shifter in Neutral and adjust the linkage to fit on the brakets.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

thanks guys i will be cleaning it soon Mike