Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My 79 frame has factory holes - does your year have them?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, Mar 15, 2003.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at making a generic bushing mount using some existing frame holes - My 79 has them, I'm kinda curious what other years may have them in the same place. The largest holes are elongated and sit 22" - 23" forward of the rear spring mount in the center of the frame. There are a few smaller ones surrounding it. Here are some pics -

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I just measured on the '88 frame out in the garage. It has the oval hole in the pic. From the center of the forward spring eye bolt to the center of the oval hole is 22 inches. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I just checked my '73 nogo no big oval hole there. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

My '90 Jimmy has them, but on the passenger side is where the fuel filter is located

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thank you to everyone who checked. I'm pleased to see that at least all the half cabs look like they have it, I'm curious what it might have been for. I have brake lines behind mine but gently shifted them to one side for my mount. Getting a 75 and 76 might definately draw the line on where it starts. I guess I'll have to make a full wrap around mount for the rest of them.

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Car carriers and such have "T" hooks that go in those holes and turn to tie them down. Those are points for that or that the factory used to tie the frame on something. You'll find those oval holes at the front and rear of most frames for this. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I beleve that those holes are designed as points that can be measured between in order to see if the frame is straight. </font>

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got a '75 K5 and a '90 Sub, so I'll try to remember to do a check and get a measurement for you tomorrow before the snow starts for the week. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif