Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My 80 had HEI, my 89 doesn't?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by inscape, Aug 21, 2004.

1. inscape

inscape Registered Member

My 80 had HEI, my 89 doesn\'t?

I thought HEI was better, so why did they go back to the other style (points?)? Another question, would there be a big difference in power going from the exhaust maniflods to headers without changing anything else on the engine, or just a tbi spacer?

I don't have a smog pump or those lines coming out of my manifolds like my 80 did, just the O2 sensor. Would I need to get headers with the o2 sensor or should the sensor go in the exhaust pipe?

Thanks.

2. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: My 80 had HEI, my 89 doesn\'t?

I have an 85 with an 87 305/TBI..and has all the smog crap on it....should be pretty much the same up to 91. Sounds like maybe its not the original engine? or maybe to PO replaced the exhaust manifold w/one that has the O2 sensor (so the CCC would work right?) I'm recalling my nightmare of re-assembling my vacuum lines, and one of them goes from the TBI to the smog pump thingy...(technical term, hehe) I for one will be watching this thread to see how others advise you..
    HEI...my distributor and coil are seperate, TBI...No points/ condensor, its all computer controlled to my knowledge. Doesn't looke like the typical HEI I've seen (mind you this Blazer is the first GM i've owned/worked on in 15 yrs)

3. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I think you're confusing the later remote-coil computer controlled HEI distributor for a points distributor. Having the coil in the cap (the big fat round style) is not what makes the HEI better than points, in fact, it really has nothing to do with either, since you could build either kind of distributor with the coil in the cap.

What you have is a computer controlled HEI distributor, with a remote coil. It most certainly is NOT a points coil in there (unless a *very* sick & twisted individual swapped it in there)

4. inscape

inscape Registered Member

Ok, thanks. I don't know the differences between the two, only that HEI is better and I thought HEI's had the coils in them. I have quite a bit to learn. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There are two styles of HEI. Your 89 has the new one, your 80 has the older one.

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

my 89 doesnt have A.I.R. lines coming from the manifolds either, but some do, i dont know why. i know mine engine was stock causs i knew the orignal owner.

if you get headers youll need a set that has the driver side set up for one(bung welded in).
    if you get a set made for an 89' it should come with it.

you wont see a big difference in power with a header swap or tbi spacer. the spacer will probly make it feel a little stronger, but will screw with all the linkage going to the tbi. mainly the TV cable.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    you wont see a big difference in power with a header swap or tbi spacer. the spacer will probly make it feel a little stronger, but will screw with all the linkage going to the tbi. mainly the TV cable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, I think he will see significant gains with the headers.

The TBI spacers are complete snake oil if you ask me.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep to headers. 20-40HP gains on a bone stock engine have been proven time and time again with long tube headers.

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I disagree, I think he will see significant gains with the headers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if there long tube headers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep to headers. 20-40HP gains on a bone stock engine have been proven time and time again with long tube headers.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe so, but my personal experience i didnt feel any difference. long tube headers will make more power, but thats high rpm HP. my bone stock TBI motor quits pulling around 4K. it would probly show an increase on a dyno, but the seat of the pants dyno that i use didnt make much difference. i felt more of a difference with a high flow cat and muffler.

i tried using a tbi spacer and it made it feel a little snappier, but i didnt like the way it messed with the linkage. so i took it off. i think i felt a bigger increase with that than the headers.

BTW i've got thorley headers which are supposed to make more power down low than full tube.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

header tests

The Tri-Y's don't fare nearly as well as the hype IMO. They may work, but they don't appear to work in "independent" tests as well as claimed. Of course, as the article states, had they spent more time on them, perhaps they would do better, but most don't have Dyno access to check these things anyways.

And actually, as that article shows, long tube headers make power down low, not up top.

20-40HP may not be noticeable on the truck due to it's sheer weight. Supposedly the butt dyno can detect 10HP in a car, trucks I'm sure requires much more to "feel". However, a butt dyno is very subjective, and I find it hard to believe that anything you replaced, short of a bad catalytic converter and/or muffler that was blocking flow, made anywhere near the difference headers do.