Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My 81 year-old grandpa has bad habits

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, May 17, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Theres beer in our fridge, and once and a while you smell a whiff of cigarette smoke. My grandpa is over here at the house staying with us. He flew in from the Philippines about 3 weeks ago.

He lived here with us when I was younger, but I never remember him smoking this much or drinking. Then he went back to live at home in the Philippines in 1995. He's 81 years old now and can barely hear... so when he was up with my mom and her friend at our mud races, I doubt he heard the motors running through the pits... but he did go around bumming cigarettes from people.

I thought that was ironic that the people I'm always telling to stop smoking and drinking were the ones that gave my own grandpa a cigarette and made him happy.

2. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

It may not be best for his health and may be lucky to get only those he does but is it so bad that he gets to enjoy something? Or do you want him to be miserable? A little enjoyment is good and he still needs to feel some happiness. Make him feel important sometimes too, it'll help him alot.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I think if I reach 80 and cigarettes don't cost a fortune, I'll take up smoking again. At that point, by the time any damage is done, I'll probably be dead from the effects other bad habits...

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

No, I never told him to stop, and I've never said anything to him about it. I just thought it was kinda funny having him get cigarettes from people I know, and then have to tell them thanks for giving him one even though I'm against it. But I want him to be able to do what he wants.