Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My 84 k5's previous owners really sucked...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by speed_deed, Mar 8, 2002.

1. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

My 84 k5\'s previous owners really sucked...

I have posted before about getting a good deal on my 84 at $150 but I am really shocked anyone could treat a k5 like that. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif The day I got its hood up I discoverd it had no oil. Then one of the 33" tires wont hold air well the other day I decided I would get the rear ratio. I had the plastic on the ground and a drain pan on that so I start removing the the cover/plate and I am wondering what the hells going on because theres no fluid draing. By the time I had the lower bolts untightened I still had no fluid. I remove the whole cover/plate and I had less than an once in the pan. I could just punch that guy in the mouth. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I got to get pictures of this danged thing. I had pictures once but they got erased. It's all good though. Even though only 3 tires are good They all have excellent tread andd would never have been able to been bought for $150 I got a good deal on tires and I got a k5. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif The engine knocks but I think it just has a flat cam. Anyway did you ever discover something disturbing after you had signed the title?

P.S.
    (I am not bitching but just sharing some of the things that the previous owner did or, didn't do.) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Re: My 84 k5\'s previous owners really sucked...

I'm really into electrical stuff. My favorite is the previous owner did the tailight wiring on the blazer with speaker wire! I have come across many other similar things to what you mentioned. Sad part is you can find the same symptoms on a $2500 truck instead of $150

3. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

Not to be rude, but didn't you expect that for $150? Or was there another reason you got it that cheap?
    I paid $2600 for my 84 and it has massive problems that I am still discovering.
    I would like to see you punch him in the mouth for selling a you a shabby $150 truck!
    Come on bro! Fix the stuff and move on...

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I had an '82 chevy dually. Boy, I'll tell ya! Talk about being put together with bailing wire and duct tape!!!

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I found that my tailgate window wiring had been spliced together by hand inside the frame-rail and just covered with a little tape. Gee, why had it stopped working? Has this guy ever seen the Statue of Liberty: she's green! There was about 6 inches of the power wire that was nothing more than green dust.

6. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

No man your miss understanding me the "punch him in the mouth" was a jokeing thing. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif the reason It was so cheap is me and my ol man made him an offer and said take it or leave it. He took it the body is completely rusted I mean holes through the bottom to the ground rust. besides it had been smashed up front and the hood was jammed up hard enough to become unopenable. the bumper is screwed the drivers side fender is screwed and the frame is sprung. I drove it home and all though. But seriously I was kidding around thats what all the /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif 's where about. Got the '85 for $2500 and had no real problems for 3 years. But it's the restoration project. But the '84 is good it had just been miss treated. I hope this helps you understand what the whole post was about.

7. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

oh yea! I bought JMT, and it was advertised as having 45,000 orig miles, and in great condition with working a/c etc. well I've had possision of this thing for about 8 months now and I've fixed the following; rebuild axles to dump the 3.08 gear ratio, new tires and wheels cuz the wheels it had on it sat too far under the vehicle, and you couldn't hardly keep in on the road, new tranny, only part on the engine that is the same is the starter. the only parts of the drivetrain that have not either been completely rebuild or replaced are the starter, and the t-case. t-case is leaking, and needs seals etc. rebuilt. I was promised that the a/c worked, but most of the ducts underneath the dash didn't even exist. after I got that stuff in I found out the compressor was bad, and wasn't even hooked up (the wires from the wiring harness had been clipped off, and yet I was told a/c was working). I've had to fix wiring in it, and its got one sweet paint job but there is rust under the paint around the edges (on arrival). there is a big hole in the middle of the roof on the front with a big rubber plug in it.

BTW this is just the stuff I can think of, and yet it was a vehicle with only 45,000 miles on it (B.S.) the door panels, carpet etc. all show that there is a great deal of wear on the vehicle.

oh yea, and when I got it (even after the gear ratio change, which was the first thing I did) I couldn't even get it up to 75 on the freeway. well come to find out it had a 305 block in it with the 350 TBI heads, stock intake etc. mirror that were on it would vibrate so bad I was afraid it would break the door skins, and they had to be replaced.

believe me when I say there is not a part of this vehicle that has not been touched by me. I even had to buy new latches for the doors, and the latches aren't stock but out of a 95 or later chevy truck.

the thing had unknown lift on it that had the worst ride of any vehicle I've been in so it go dropped back to stock height in the front, and the rear is going to be dropped before spring. (can't seem to get the driveline angles right so I can't get the vibe out front drop - rear was dropped too, but rear lift was some pretty good springs + blocks so I just took the blocks out).

have I missed anything? oh I'm sure I have, but that'll give ya a good idea of what I've been into.

oh yea, and I lied cuz there is a part of the vehicle I have not had to touch - the front break lines, and the fuel lines.

8. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

oh yea, and I paid premium price for the vehicle - $6500 cuz of the milage and condition. (+ $1000 to have it shipped to WY - would have been worth it to me if I didn't have to do so much to the vehicle after the fact)

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Something wrong with speaker wire? I just used some to make my interior lights work. For some reason GM decided to put the wire for the dome light in the crack between the roof and removable top. I replaced the header seals, and the wire was in the way. Just did some mods, and now its inside...with speaker wire!!! Also wired a trailer with speaker wire...

10. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I test drove my truck and I still bought it. I didn't even pay attention to the very bad miss-firing. I drove it home for 4 hours and changed the plugs and I think 4 of them had ugly a$$ deposits in them. I was so convinced I was gonna take it even before I test drove it. Bad move but turned out ok. Like they say--love is blind. VERY blind.

11. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

Sounds about the same as my blazer, but I only paid $500 for it. I have literally touched everything on it except the t-case and front brakes. The only thing remaining on the engine is the carb (which is bad) and the bottom end, just put new heads on it. The motor was rebuilt and bored .030 over but they never touched the heads. For $500 I'm not complaining, my wife is, but I'm not. Right now I've got about $2000 in it including the purchase price. Its still rusty but it runs so much better now.

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Gee, I thought my truck had problems. The guy had put 56" springs in which laid flat on the shackle and road like crap. Had to do some light wiring under the hood, and the rear end lasted a few months and front end just as long. Engine, tranny, and T-case havent had too many problems. Oh yeah, frame was cracked behind steering box. Lost the driveline 2nd day I had the truck (front u joint went out on rear driveline)-had to replace yoke on driveline, was shot.

13. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

On My '89 the PO was a kid who started to do posuer mods (big lights, big tires). Anyway I went to fix a transfercase leak and I noticed one of the stut rods unbolted. Uhm? Well after seperating the trans from the xfer I find Standard bolts jamed into the transfer and a metric jammed into the block! The bolt that was missing from the strut/bellhousing,,, IT's broke in the BLOCK !(the other missing metric transfer bolt).

And I can't forget, the trans (700R) has been rebuilt(?) but I suspect it's from a gasser. It's got the 3 bolt torqueconverter (instead of six) and it shifts like a Pro-Stocker. I can hear him tell the trans mechanic now, "Yeah, give me the full-race shift kit!".

My plans include ditching the slush box for a manual and fixing all the other stuff that buggered up. Wow you shoulda seen the rear brake lines..........

14. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

I know what you are saying, but consider yourself lucky to only pay 150 for your K5. I payed 3000 for my 85 K5 about 2 years ago.and I still find stuff that make me shake my head. I had been looking for a while and though I was getting a great deal. I had the blinders on because I wanted a K5 real bad, so I ignored several things that should have raised red flags.
    The one that make me shake my head most was the cooling fan. A previous owner had swapped engines. They put in a later 350 with the serpentine belt setup. They kept the old cooling fan. No big deal right? Wrong. The serpentine belt spins the water pump the opposite direction. It was pushing air through the radiatior. It couldn't be driven more than 15 minutes without overheating when the temp outside was over 55 degrees. The truck was missing a motormount bolt. Tranny blew out a couple of months after I bought the truck despite being supposedly rebuilt. Cruise control did't work, AC didn't work.
    I could go on forever. You get the idea.
    The wierd thing is, I told the guy I was interested in the truck because of the clean and straight body and I would have bought it even if the seller had been completely honest with me. I still an happy with the deal I got overall, but it would have been nice to get the right info when buying a truck.
    I believe in being honest when I sell stuff, I wish everyone else believed that also.

15. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

The first week I had my '91 I did all of its maintenance items because I never trust that anyone has done it. My truck is bone stock, with the exception of the super fashionable running boards that were next to come off, so it looked like it was well taken care of. While changing all of its fluids I was looking around at various things and noticed that almost all of the castle nuts on the front end components had nails instead of cotter pins in them. WTF? Do it right or do it again...

Next up was the trailer wiring. Instead of buying an adapter(6 round to 4 flat), the previous owner decided to splice in a 4 flat harness onto the factory trailer wiring with ScotchLoks. NEVER use those things on anything except emergency fixes until you can fix it right (solder). When I hooked up my trailer and hit the lights, it took out all of my lighting fuses on the truck. That was fun...

Those are really minor...the rest of the truck is perfect.

16. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

As a person that messes with wiring and wiring faults its more aggrivating than hell to have to trace wires all of one or two colors when there are 4 wires each for a different purpose especially on a trailer. Speaker wire is usually very thin coated, thin in diameter, and hard to differentiate between the positive and neg ones ( not that it really matters because most speakers will work either way) Its just that when I go in looking for an yellow/brown wire, a dark green wire, light greenwire, and a white one and find 4 clear speaker wires it gets frustrating. Plus the current your avg speaker wire carries is pitiful. However it will work...Just not my choice of wiring save speaker wire for speakers.

17. Re: My 84 k5\'s previous owners really sucked...

Here was my problem, I bought the truck BEFORE I ever logged on here, boy if I knew then what I know now, I would have run for my life.
    Check for rust? What?
    Gear ratio? What?
    You say it's been re-built? Great!
    Bad tires? Who's cares!! Gimme!!
    I believe that was the exact conversation
    But, like what has been stated above, I WANTED a K5...Love is truly blind, especially first love!

18. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

I brought along my brother in law who is a mechanic. He spotted the sweet smell of antifreeze in the exhaust and the grinding noise from the throwout bearing. The body was perfect no rust/new paint job(well done paint job) the undercarriage looked goood didn't seem like it has ever left the pavement. The only surprises i got was the fuel gauge doesn't work and i found a rust hole behind the drivers seat but other than that its great! even with the leaky head gasket it still runs fine and passed emissions. Since i ws planning a motor swap anyway i was more concerned about the body and suspension. I agree its good to know what your getting into before you buy.