Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My '87 K5 Build

Discussion in 'Southeast Region' started by HoodRich, Aug 24, 2006.

1. HoodRich

HoodRich 1/2 ton status

Okay, I have been looking for a place to start my build-up thread and it seems theres no better place than the southeast region since I'm hoping to do some riding with y'all this winter.:D

It started off as nothing more than a bare tub, and stripped frame via Ryan22re. I was happy to find a tub with no rust for as cheap as he was getting rid of it, so one trip down to John's in Mcbee a few weekends ago and she arrived at home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next day, using the fork lift I hoisted the pair up onto a set of bucks were she will remain until it becomes a rolling chassis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I got the frame and tub up on the bucks I broke out the steam cleaner and blew the grease and old dirt off her so I could get some paint on the frame and some bedliner inside the tub. I'll have some additional shots of the rear section of the tub after bedliner this weekend, when I get time to finish:doah: .

[​IMG]

I also started gathering additional parts as everyone can see I will need quite a few pieces. I got a set of seats of an early '90s Amigo, and an EATON HO72 from a truck at my Dad's shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not alot just yet but I'm leaving in an hour to pick up my front 60 in Charlotte, and I should have some other updates over the weekend as I plan to spend lots of time on it.

Steve

2. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

looking good so far ,good luck and keep us posted!

3. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ahhhh seems familiar, keep us posted.

4. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Great start, as stated before keep us posted.

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Built not bought!!! :D

6. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

COOL :D See ya at URE soon.

7. nutsthename

nutsthename 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You planning on staying topless? I have the top off it if you want it, less one window though.

8. HoodRich

HoodRich 1/2 ton status

Just got back from charlotte and the HP 60's in side the ZJ. I feel kinda like a proud parent :D . Thanks guys I will surely keep y'all posted, and I plan to run a bikini top at this point will full soft doors mated over a set of tube doors.

9. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Good to see my truck (what's left of it) going to good use.

10. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

looks good ! keeper going.

11. HoodRich

HoodRich 1/2 ton status

Okay its been quite a while since I've updated this build. I've been busy at work getting the Lexus ready for SEMA and finishing up a few builds for customers, but things should be quieting down so I can knock this project out and do some wheeling.

As y'all can tell from the previous pictures I really didn't have alot to work with so any extra time I've had I spent gathering parts and picking them up.

I should have some good pictures to update after the weekend but heres where I'm at right now.

I bought a complete running '88 Jimmy from a fella off the board here down in Fayetteville for 700 bucks it has a tbi 350/700r4/208 10blts F&R I really just wanted the engine and trans but knew I would need a few other various parts as well before mine was completed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also picked up a 203 range box from John who was nice enough to bring it to the Thump, I met CB and George when I arrived and it was nice to meet y'all and put some names and faces together. I am still looking for a Ford 205 to wrap up my NorthWest Fab doubler.

I was able to pick up a HP 60 from a fella in charlotte for 250 it included both knuckles and factory 3:54 gears. I then went to work gathering the rest of the parts needed to get it together, the rebuild parts from partsmike and napa ran me 320, spindles from a buddy ran another 60, and caliper brackets calipers and rotors from a fella off PBB that switched his setup to 5 lug ran me 110 shipped. I ordered a set of Poly Performance drive flanges and I ordered a set of moser engineering shafts with spicer joints.

The rear Eaton Ho52 is installed under the truck now with stock 64" springs, DIY4X 7" shackles and ExtremeTahoe 4" flip. I ordered a set of 14FF disc brake brackets from JKW offroad to use with the 3/4 chebby rotors and calipers for a nice disc set-up. Both axles will be geared 4:56 with the eaton running a Free 14ff detroit and 14ff shafts, hopefully I'll be able to work a free detroit or E-Locker out of my buddy for the front but we'll see:wink1: .

I decided on Olive Drab green with a black top for now, since STC is down and out for now. Hopefully I'll be able to find a soft top used on epay or the board here. I will be finishing all the paint this weekend to I can get the front glass set in so the weather will be out and the dash and wiring from the donor truck can go in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had a local vender in NC, KORE offroad, supply the weld on beadlocks (R4 design) for the 16" soft 8's. I also got my 39.5 Iroks in and I'm excited to get them mounted up next weekend so I can finish to rear up.

[​IMG]

I've got plenty to do this weekend so I'll hopefully have another update sunday evening.

Later, steve. :D

12. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Awesome.

Looks great.

13. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cool rolling along :D

14. dontoe

Kool, coming along well!!! :D

15. extremetahoe

extremetahoe 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Beadlocks

Hey man do you have any demensions for the R3 beadlocks? If so could you send me a pm and let me know. Going to make a set at work. Hopefully they are 16.5's. Going to get on the CNC computer at work a do a little experimenting next week. Will let you guys know how that goes. I know I'm going to be doing a few dana 60 and 44 high steer arms so if anybody needs any just let me know.

16. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got one wheels worth of 16.5 weld on beadlock I bought years ago from Diyx. I've also got templates for disk brake brackets for 14ff, dodge external D60 and chevy D60. Prob got some other stuff too but can't think of it right now.

17. HoodRich

HoodRich 1/2 ton status

Okay got a lil work done this weekend, knowing I'll be out of town for Thanksgiving. I've got the front axle assembled minus locker shafts and flanges, and the rear is assebled mindus detroit ( I am going to do it all at one time as soon as I can get it inside on one of the lifts). The disc brakes are on the rear and the heater box is back on with a good blower motor, and most of the dash wiring is in, I still have to finish installing a few ducts and instument panel. The PS box is ported for hyrdo and back on, I got the motor and tran close to ready to remove from the donor '88 thats a project for the next week and a half ( to remove, clean, reinstall and fire up.) The beadlocks are all welded up and mounted ( that was a pain in the ass bc not only did we do my 4 we also did 4 for my brothers K5.) The 52's are up front with 7.25" shackles and the rear in bolted up with extremetahoe's flip and DIY4X 7" shackles. Thats really all for now, Northwest fab should have both doubler kits and triple stick kits completed after Thanksgiving. Well thats all for now I reckon.

Beadlocks

[​IMG]

Finally sitting on all fours...

[​IMG]

Another shot...

[​IMG]

18. dontoe

SOB if that ain't gonna be a Bad MF............

19. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Looking good...are my eyes playing tricks on me, looks like a double blazer in the back round:D

20. HoodRich

HoodRich 1/2 ton status

Lol, no thats my brothers K5 and his is similar.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2006