Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my 87 s-10 blazer 4x4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BackDoor-Banditt, May 5, 2006.

1. BackDoor-Banditt

BackDoor-Banditt Registered Member

ive been wanting to lift my s10 blazer for some time now but cant find anyone who sells a lift kit for it, ive already put a 3'' body lift on it now i want to put a 3'' suspension lift on it so i can finally put my 35x12.5x15 baja claws on, if anyone can find a place that has my lift please let me know, thanks

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

with a username like that, this has got to be a joke, right?

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

4. BackDoor-Banditt

thanks

hey thanks for the help but i have one more question, how much of a lift can i put on my blazer before i have to get longer cv shafts? or is there no limit?

5. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

you may want to rethink your plan. if you are set on 35's, then you will probably be dissapointed when your IFS cant hold up. i would recommend a SAS.

here is some modivation (and it is even on 35" baja claws)
    [​IMG]

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Look at you posting the unfinished product with a spring under front. It looks better than that now! Maybe it's time for new pics.

7. BackDoor-Banditt

damn!! nice truck but wouldnt changing from a ifs to a sas be a lot of work i mean im not to sure if i can handle that big of a job whats involved?

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yes it is a lot of work. It can be done pretty cheap though. We bought an '81 Wagoneer to use for axles. Purchased it for $212, stole the axles, parted out the rest for $500, and scrapped it. Bought the blazer for $400 with a busted rear axles, and worn out front end components (all things that were getting replaced anyway). Did a spring over conversion to our donor rear axle, for the cost of the $18 spring perches. Picked up a set of springs from the rear of a 69 F100 for the front. Used scrap steel to do a spring over conversion on the front axle, used about $50 of steel to build a front crossmember and all the spring hangers needed. Put about $60 into a flat top knuckle, drilled and tapped for crossover. $100 for 1.5" .375 DOM tubing for the tie rod and draglink, $160 for 1-ton Moog TRE's. $120 for the steering arm and install kit. Stock rear driveshaft fits fine, haven't figured out the front yet. Modifying the tranny crossmember to clear the extra drop from the front crossmember right now. Other than that, it's just a LOT of planning, measuring, designing, welding, and general hard work. Here's a pic of it sitting a 4" taller after the front spring over. Still need to lift the rear a couple more inches to match. Getting closer....

[​IMG]

And here's a gallery with various pics of the process you can look at. I plan on doing a more detailed write up with more pics when it's done.
    http://krazyk5.com/gallery/S10-SFA-conversion

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  9. BackDoor-Banditt

well althought it does look like alot of work and all i think i might be able to manage something like that thanks for the help, if i have anymore questions ill be sure to come to you, you sound like you really know what your doin.thanks again
    Travis

10. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

he does.

11. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Or I've got you all fooled at least.:D

12. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

need i post a pic of your welds again?

13. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well the ones on Sam's S10 are not like the ones on your axle...I had to learn somewhere.:eek1: :doah: