Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MY 87 V10 PASSED EMMISSONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Jun 5, 2003.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

WOW, 153,000K miles, im so happy, all i have is some exaust pipe, flex pipe, the stock cat. and a flex pipe side pipe, and all my emmissions stuff hooked up and it passed like it wasnt even there, i got a .232 on HC out of .437 and somthin like 2.456 out of 4.599 on CO, so im like buzzin right now and my gas cap passed, all i did was change the oil, clean the spark plugs, change the air filter, and fancy up my exaust alittle bit, and then the next day drive it around for 15 minutes around town, then drove it in, let the guy drive it, it was more of a dyno\sniffer test then anything, he didnt take it out of 1st GEAR /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif, oh well, and 1st gear as in GRANNY well i just thought id share my heroific story, i wish all of ya a great day /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Cheers!

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The biggest mistake people make when getting their emmisionms test done is to strat up the car drive 3-4 miles to the emmisions station and turn it off and sit and wait. Cats HAVE to be hot to work. Your driving around got the ca hot and made sure the FI went into closed loop.
    Air cleaner was a big help also. They plug a lot faster then people think. When they are plugged the engine will start to run on the rich side.

I heard a statistic that about 60% of the emmisions failures are simply not fully up to operating temp. Of the remaining failures most are curable with a basic tune up of plugs, air filter and PCV valve. The money people spend on the addatives to pass is a waste. If they would have taken that money and put it towards a tune up it would have been better spent and paid for the tune up in better fuel economy in just a few weeks.

4. 87sm465np208

Dually said Grim, we gotta get my friends 91 K5 to pass now, it was way up on the HC. i hear that, well i went hard core today rantin to everyone how my truck passed emmissions, im gunna get some tires for my truck finally, from a guy i know im gunna inquire about them this week, 300-400$ range for some 33x12.50's pretty new lots of tred, on rims, alloy ram charger style rims at that, 6 lug GM pattern, came off a 84 K10 that got wrecked, well just thought id post somthin. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Congrats man /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    on a side not, what do they test your gas cap for...to see if its there? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. 87sm465np208

they test it to see if it seals right so it dosnt emmit fumes into the air though the gas cap, the gas trucks of the era had charcoal canisters that the fumes ran though, so basicly it keeps the air cleaner. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

so the fact my gas cap lest fuel leak down the side of the truck isnt good /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. 87sm465np208

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

thank GOD they got rid of that crap in my state.what a waste of time . old cars that burned oil were exempt . but new cars had to take the test. what kind of sh*t is that.