Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My '88 K5 has been sitting for three years and need help restarting it.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by revivemyk5, May 10, 2003.

1. revivemyk5

revivemyk5 Newbie

My \'88 K5 has been sitting for three years and need help restarting it.

My k5 was once unstoppable, but i have not driven it in three years and would like to revive it. it has been outside in connecticut the entire time. everything under the hood is bone stock. my concerns are that if changing the oil, checking the plugs and wires, and dropping in a new battery are enough or do i need to remove the old gas? tranny fluid? open up the valve covers and get oil to the heads? and anything else that i haven't thought of. btb3@lehigh.edu

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

Re: My \'88 K5 has been sitting for three years and need help restarting it.

umm yea i would recemend getting the old gas out...why did you let it set that long with gas and everything in it?

3. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Leave the valve covers alone. Pull the spark plugs and spray lubricant in each cylinder. Use penetrating oil or something a little thicker.
    Change the:
    oil and filter
    tranny fluid and filter
    Both differentials and transfer case grease
    grease U joints if greasable
    change the fuel filter
    make sure no rodents are living in the intake (happens a lot, big mess at startup)
    Probably a few things I forgot

4. BlindHawk

BlindHawk Registered Member

My 85 sat for 2 1/2 years in the hot Florida sun, in the middle of a 10 acre field. I snapped the pinion gear one day and parked it, thinking I was going to fix it right away .. well that was not the case ... anyway, about a month ago I found a real deal on a stock 89, so I got it. The plan was to get the 85 and pull all the goodies off it and put on the 89. So I roll out the the field where it sat, put a new battery in it and my old baby just fired right up like I had run her that morning. And as I sat there looking at the clear gas filter, I thought that maybe I should has changed the gas first, but just as I was thinking that, the brown sludge fromt the tank can flowing in .. Well after an hour of putting new gas right in the carb to try and burn off the sludge, and putting new gas in the tank (lucky the tank only had a gallon or 2 in it) I got it started back up, and then drove it 35 miles to my shop. I tell you, I just love a chevy motor! Now some of you will ask why I did this, and to tell you the truth, I wanted to see if I could do it, I know I messed the motor up, but there is a planned rebuild for it anyway. So I did strip off the stuff I needed for the new Blazer, and now I am pulling off all the good parts for sale and storage.
    Now after rambling on about this, you may ask why. If you plan on keeping the motor in your truck, and not rebuilding it, I would suggest doing what MousePowrd has suggested and then some.

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I'd change the plugs also.

6. GREASEMONKEY

GREASEMONKEY Registered Member

i'd also take the dist. out and prime the engine with new oil. Change the old stuff, get a engine primer ( old dist. with gear milled off) use a cordless drill and pump it up. Should save you from a dry start.

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I got a K5 a few years ago badly in need of restoration. It had no motor but I had the motor from my old chevelle sitting on an engine stand, been there for about 4 years. It is a Jaspers motor that had 10k miles on it. Before putting it in I changed the oil (I only ran synthetic and if the literature is true it should have stayed lubricated all that time), put in new plugs, and replaced the distributer. In the chevelle I ran a dual points setup but the 79 K5 was rigged for HEI. I also got an accel super coil. Normally that motor would fire, but after a few cranks. With the new setup after sitting for a good 4 years that motor turned twice and roared to life. Gotta love the sound of open headers and a 4bbl. As far as I can tell just sitting did no harm to the motor, and it purred so sweet, if a little lumpy from the cam. Now that it runs I get to tear it apart and drop in a nice low end torque cam and put those 325 ponies to work making a crawler =D

8. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

The only thing I would add would be to use Marvel Mystery oil in the spark plug holes and when you go to fire it disconnect the coil and crank it a few time to get some oil in the top end before you start pullin some revs. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

Oh also let the oil set in the cylinders for a day or two to let the oil drain down through the rings. Again good luck.