Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My '88 K5 isn't getting fuel, help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KevinsK5, Jun 20, 2005.

1. KevinsK5

KevinsK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Heres the problem. My Blazer started running very badly last week. Stumbling badly off idle and cutting out at highway speed, like I was turning the key off and then quickly turning it back on again. At first I thought it was an ignition problem so I replaced the plugs as they looked old and worn, and checked the condition of the cap and rotor, both of which were fine. The plugs didn't solve the problem, as it still had the same problem the next day. I drove it back into town with a low fuel level and thought that might be a factor. I put 15 gallons of 85 in it, enough to submerge the pump. After I fueled, it fired up and ran but still had the same problem. Then about 5 miles after I fueled the engine died as I was getting off the highway, and it wouldn't start again. It just cranked and cranked and wouldn't even try to start. I towed it back to my house and checked for spark first thing, and it has spark. When I turn the ignition to ON, I can hear the fuel pump buzzing in the tank. (I put a new fuel pump in it 3500 miles ago, so it's close to new.) Then I thought the fuel filer might be clogged so I replaced it. That didn't help, as it still just cranks and cranks and doesn't try to fire. What is the problem? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Kevin

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

crank no run 1

crank no run 2

Those should *help*. It's for TPI, but crank no run is pretty similar for what we are dealing with.

You can partially check the "is RPM indicated via scan tool" by checking for spark at the plugs, which you have it sounds like. What that is checking exactly is whether or not the ECM is getting a signal from the distributor that the engine is turning over.

Check the injector pulse. You can make a test light yourself, just use a 194 bulb most have lying around, (gauge light bulb) connect a wire to each of the wires coming out of the bulb, and use that in the injector connector.

3. KevinsK5

KevinsK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dorian, Where did you get those flow charts, are they on CK5 somewhere? The charts in your links are too small to read. Do you have any bigger ones? Thanks, Kevin

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can't recall if it's out of my manual or one someone else has scanned. Can you read most of it? I might be able to help you deceipher a couple of things, but I don't have access to my manual right now.