Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my 88 k5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jpdrake, Mar 10, 2007.

1. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

from cape cod ma out in the bay at low tide

100_0292.JPG

2. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Nice k5, any plans on a lift?

3. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

nope restore back to original and give it back to my mom in 2 years she bought in new in 89

4. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

what would u do to an original 88 k5 today if it was yours?

5. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

Depends on condition.Hhere in California it probally wouldnt pass smog. Nice looking truck BTW

6. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

The same thing I plan to do to my original 89. Cut the fenders, cram my 60/14 under it, and wheel the piss out of it. :D All the while trying to keep the sheetmetal out of the rocks as much as I can. I know I should have bought a beater for that.. but I didn't really feel like finding my way through multi-owner ham-fisted wire jobs etc.. It just seemed more reasonable to start off with something that was nice and clean through-out. :crazy: And, like I said, I will make every effort to attempt to save the body when I can. I'd like this K5 to last me a great long while, .. while still getting the type of use from it I want.

1122AA 017.jpg

7. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Here is a thought! Take your GOOD GM fenders off it and put them up. Now go buy some aftermarket one and cut the piss out of them. Then later when you go to restore it you have good fenders and not the cheep aftermarkets.

8. txfiremank5

Nah, .. I've thought about setting the fenders aside and using some aftermarket ones, but for what really? I'm never going to "restore" the K5. Once I get it how I want it, it will stay that way. If I wanted to restore it, it would have been done the day I drove it home. I bought it to wheel.. and serve as a second vehicle for beach duty, and family camping trips etc. And, to make it the way it should have left the plant in 89. :wink:

I'll probably gut the inside down to easy cleaning materials, and know someone who wants to buy the interior stuff for a K5 he's keeping clean. The only problems inside are some cracks on the dash, and the carpet is faded. I'll probably rhino line the floor for easy rinse duty.

9. Metrodps

The pain

Well for what it is worth I just paid $100.00 each for good used GM fenders and $150.00 for a NOS with a few little dings. As these get less and less the price gets higher. Chevy duty gets $499.00 :doah: for a NOS fender the after market sell for around $69.00 now a clean Black Texas fender would of been worth a $150.00 to me.:bow:

There are others out there who WANT the GM metal too and pay for it. But just giving you advice I will go morn for those fenders. :angry1:

10. txfiremank5

I hear ya. If I had the space to store the fenders, and felt like dealing with trying to match the paint on the new ones it might be worth the extra effort. Besides, I'm not going to hack the fenders to hell, I'm just trimming enough to clear what I need. It shouldn't be too bad w/ 6" and 38.5 range tires. Later on, if I ever need to repaint, I'll probably roll the cut lines with some small tube to clean 'em up.

And they're midnight blue. :thumb:

11. Metrodps

I have my extra NOS screwed to the rafters out of the way and since they are blue hack away :haha: :haha: :haha:

12. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

That' awsome, with that kind of karma you may get it back one of these days.:bow:

13. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I am living with this right now and it is not fun:mad: