Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my 89s barely drivable.

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Miller, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Miller

Miller Registered Member

went out playing in the mud last night and doing some hill climbing,

I ended up fubareing something on the driverside of the truck, drove it home at about 30 miles an hour haveing to strong arm it the hole way to keep it on the road. my first thought was I put a flat spot in the wheel. but it wouldnt bounce that bad cause even with flat spot the tire would seperate from the wheel alittle keeping it semi round. second thought was cv joint may have been binding even in 2wd going down the road. and causeing the left side to jerk and bounce. 3rd was maybe bent control arm or tie rod. but I just went outside and it doesnt look bad. tow and camber look decent though I know there out. but not enough to cause these problems.

later today or tonight Ill pull the half shafts out and toss my dumby axle stubs in to get the least amout of moving parts to a minumum as possible. then see whats going on. Im pretty sure its something that rotates, becase at glance there isnt anything that is broke or looks terribley bent.

heres the story, last night I was climbing a hill in 4hi the tranny in granny gear and my foot at about 3/4 throttle, when the left side decided to launch off a rock that was about half as tall as my 35" tire. that haulted all forward movement on the hill and my truck kinda sideways, with the cd player hanging outa the dash and dangleing by the wires. with all kinds a thoughts going through my head, cause that wasnt a hill you wanted to not make it up when its kinda muddy and be sitn dead at an angle.

ohhhhh and on this same run my dang heater hose split down the middle where it connects to heater core. so you can imagine my thoughts on the side this hill. my trucks just launched over something steams rolling from under the hood. and Ijust got the motor together. all I could thick of were thoughts of a cracked block. cracked head, something major.

anyways thats what happend last night, not sure why Im saying all, there it is anyways.

Evan

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    becase at glance there isnt anything that is broke or looks terribley bent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you said that the wheel looked like it was 1 or 2" back in the wheelwell? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. Miller

Miller Registered Member

it does, and rubs terrible, before I could get an acasionl rub out of it, now the tires comeing off on the fender lip. lol

its not much but enough to throw it way out of wack and drive horrible. Ive never drove anyrig that pulled so hard in one derection as thing. the pull I can see, but the freakn bounceing. youd just have to see it. at first I thought the shock had been ripped off the lower mount. t-bar seems fine.

actualy yeah Im pretty sure its that far back, cause by looking at how far the control arms have moved in there mounts, I know its that far back. plus its atleast an 1" to rear cause I had about an inch of clearnance to fender that I know longer have. now while I try to not turn very sharp when drivn around town. lol

4. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Holy [censored] /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif yeah it kinda sounds like your A arm bushings went bad damn i had a prob with the alignment of the ifs i had to put sims and one of those camber adjuster things in it too.. it sucked i had the whole front end out and if i had more money id had a SFA in there... but i like the ground clearnce i get with ifs better then sfa for now.. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

5. Miller

Miller Registered Member

putn a upper a arm and bushing outa a half ton on it, along with all new bolts, well the ones off the halfton.