Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My '97 2wd is only gettin 14mpg... Whats up???

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by fad2blk99, Feb 20, 2002.

1. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

My \'97 2wd is only gettin 14mpg... Whats up???

My '97 2wd Ext cab Chevy is only gettin around 14 mpg. I don't drive it hard. It's only performance mod is a K&N (No noticable improvement after the K&N by the way). Everyone else I know with a '96-99, Tahoe or truck, is gettin close to 20 mpg. As far as I can tell from drivin around town, it does not have the lower 3.73 gear option other people have suggested; though I'm tempted to pop the cover off and count the teath to be sure. Any ideas??? Thanks!

<font color=black> -Tommy
    <font color=red>"To secure peace is to prepare for war..."

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: My \'97 2wd is only gettin 14mpg... Whats up???

no need to count the teeth..it's stamped in there. But on a side not, you may want to do a full tune up and see what happens. let the tailgate down.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I did the "let the tail gate down" thing. It's good for 1/2 to 1 mpg. Where's the other 4 mpg? I'm gonna replace all the cheap sensors and do the tune-up you suggested. I'm curious though if anyone else has had a similar problem. Thanks for your input!

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

My freinds uncle has a 90 with a 350 and 5 spd. he gets 16 with a canopy, but he had to put the spoiler on it to pick up the 2MPG he lost by adding the canopy. You should be getting better then that fer sure, you have better fuel injection and a better motor(vortec)..I get 15 in cherokee with it driving like a mad man,LOL

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Try getting the injectors "power-cleaned". Not just a cleaner pored into the tank, but a real cleaner, feed into the fuel sys along with a top engine cleaner.

I would strongly reccomend taking it to a G.M. dealer to have it done correctly.

This might help the MPG numbers if there is a spray pattern problem and isn't a bad idea to do as "30,000 mile matinence" service.

They would/should also be able to find out your rear gears from the vin and RPO tag.

I think you should be getting about 18 HWy out of a 2wd 350 auto, give or take acouple.

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted

6. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I'm a little reluctant to use any type of cleaners on my engine. Be it fuel, coolant, or crankcase, I've had too many professionals tell me that these products eat away at the protective linings and anticorrosive coatings in the parts they are supposed to clean. The immediate results are usually favorable, but in the long run it will cause far more damage than good.
    I will check with the dealer though and see if they've encountered a problem like this and know of a remedy. Thanks for your input!

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Your millage is way off. No SES light? Is the bulb O.K., does it (SES light) come on when first started?

Any driveability probelms?
    I don't know what else to tell you, drivability is not my thing.

By the way. Intake coolant leaks are common (you qurestion on the other post.) Normaly an external coolant leak at the intake manifold to cyl head gasket. It should not have an effect on gas milage.

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted

8. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Nope ... the light works. I'm thinking about changing the knock sensor. I've herd this little guy can screw with your mileage and performance pretty bad, along with about fifty other sensors. The truck, however, runs great! I love dusting off those poor Dodge guys with their big-bad 318s and 360s.

As far as the intake leak thing... I was assuming it was a vacuum leak, which would srcew up a number of things.
    Thanks!

9. eman

eman Registered Member

Use the BG44k fuel cleaner, identical to the dealer $60 cleaning. How are your plugs, etc.?