Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My A/C compressor is dying

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wingnutt, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

I think. Its been rattling for a couple of years now, but this summer it's been draging the idle down to 450-500 rpm and making a looud growling sound while in gear.

This is on my '88, so the computer should kick the idle up to correct for this...right? ALDL shows the A/C demand is on, so my guess is that I've only got a little while before it locks up completely. Also does anybody have any experience with refitting a R12 system with R134? I've heard a lot of horror stories of blown compressors, disentagrating rubber lines and little if any cold air out the vents. Any information will be greatly appreciated TIA

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

A bad rotary pump makes a ratcheting type of sound when they are starting to come apart.

I wouldn't be so afraid of R134, if you want it to work really well get the new R134 version condensor. The system holds 36 ounces of R134. Use ester oil also. Get a NEW pump, not a rebuilt pump because they don't last, I bought a premium rebuilt pump and have gone through 2 of them and it would have been cheaper in the long run to have just payed the extra $100 or so for a brand new pump. Make sure you get a new orifice tube and accumulator dryer and it should work good. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif