Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Axel Dilemma... Help PLEASE!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IronMan, Feb 17, 2003.

1. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

Ok... Here goes. I know you guys have covered this occasionally. But I need to know FACTS. I have a 83' 1 ton 4x4 SRW. It has a 14 bolt in it. I also have a mid eighties Dana 70 HD DRW axel. I need to build one for my truck. I bought the 70 so i could put an ARB in it to match the front. But from what I understand it will need to be cut down? There has been some talk about different backing plates and such to bring down the width to match the front 60. I need advice on what to do? Stick with the 14 bolt and just put a detroit in it? OR build the 70 with a ARB? Brakes are not that important - drums or disks. Thanks in advance for the help. Its most appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Stick with the 14 bolt and install a detroit. There is no need for an arb in the rear

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I've gotta agree.....keep the 14bff. You'll have more $$$$ wrapped up in getting the D70 ready and swapped in than you will for a Detroit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif