Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My bass is gone

Discussion in 'Audio' started by VisionxOrb, Nov 23, 2002.

1. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Well i took my hard top off to put on my soft top and now i have no bass, before it would move ur hair on your head ( loved that feeling ) and hit your chest but now it cant pressurize the cab. now I ive seen people with there subs out in the air ( like pick up bed ) and thump hard so any one got an idea toi fix this ( I have to audiobahn aluma 12s running on a orion hcca 2100 ).

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had the same problem. I just got me a dual port bandpass box. If you want I can go take a picture for you, but I don't think that you will ever find a way to get the same sound with a soft top that you do with a hard top. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You could get tricky and built a sub box that could be used as a ported box in the summer (top off) and a sealed box in the winter (top on)....

As a general rule, a ported box will outperform a sealed box by +3dB of output. That MAY be enough to help you, and then again it may not.

The idea is to design a ported box for the output you need with the top off, and then you could block off the ports during the winter to get a milder setup when the top is on.

The other alternative is to simply design in MONSTER amounts of bass with a subwoofer/amp combination so that you've got what you need in the summer, and then when the top goes on, just cut the "gain controls" on the subwoofer amps to mellow them out.....

That's basically what I have in my K5. The bass is good in the summer but too overwhelming in the winter. A 5-minute amp adjustment is all it takes... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. silver

silver Registered Member

i love your truck... it is so bad ass. your system setup is really cool too. did you build those boxes yourself or did you get them built.

Grant

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Thanks Grant....

Yes, actually I did everything on that stereo myself....from the design to wiring to fabrication of boxes.

Here's a pic from the gallery in case you hadn't already seen it:

[​IMG]

That gives you a good idea of how they fit over the existing wheelwheels, and create enough room for a 10" sub and port on each side.

All tolled, the complete stereo system installation was about 200 hours worth of work. It takes a LONG time to come up with solutions that work, sound good, and are well hidden in the vehicle.

I'm fairly pleased with the system overall, but I am not the kind of person who can leave things alone, so I'll probably try some other subwoofer setups and maybe some different amp placements too..... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif