Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my battery?!?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jacked_86chevyk10, Jun 17, 2004.

1. jacked_86chevyk10

jacked_86chevyk10 Registered Member

what can be drawing power from my battery while my truck is off, is there any way to tell whats drawing so much power? i have an amp (500w) hooked up directly to the battery, but i also resently put like a battery cut off switch(the kind used in race cars) inline of the amp so i cut the amp off if the truck is gonna sit, and the ground post still has a lil spark....i seriously dont know...autozone is gettin tired of me replacing batteries.....please help /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

It could be short somewhere, check all of the wires that are hot all of the time (not acc. wires, headlights, etc...). The amplifier that you installed should have a remote turn-on wire that controls a relay inside the amp to disconnect the amp from the battery when the amp is off, the switch that you added really isn't needed. A lot of my vehicles spark sometimes when hooking the battery back up but don't experience battery drain. Have you checked your alternator? Otherwise maube a short? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my truck had a similare problem, mine was with the plow. it has an electic controller that the PO wired to the bat, if i left the controler on it would kill my battery in 4 hours. 5 times of that and the battery would not hold a charge.

check some of the things that have been added, make sure they are getting no power when truck is off. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You can check for short curcuits by removing the negative battery cable,and put a bulb or test lamp between the negative battery cable and the battery negative terminal--if the lamp comes on,there is a short somewhere,you can pull fuses and see if it goes out--if so the short is in the curcuit the fuse protects,if not it might be bad diodes in the altenator,or one of the main wires that come from the solenoid--the ones with the fusible links in them--many times those wires burn on the exhaust and short out there.I would wire the amp so it works only with the key on ACC and On--you might need a relay if its a big amp that draws a lot of amps.

5. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, my battery went dead and wouldn't hold a charge for long. I pulled the alt and took it to a parts store that could check it and it failed, must of had a short inside. I replaced it and all is well.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can rebuild your alternator for about $20, if it comes to that. I like pointing that out because it is such an easy job, and relatively cheap to do.