Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my battey fell out!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MUDNUTT, Aug 2, 2002.

1. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

popped the hood last night for the first time in about a week, was going to change the oil and first thing i see when the hood goes up is the battery laying against the inner fender. the $#%^^@$^ing tray had rusted out. oh well i had been meaning to come up with something a little more heavy duty, just would have liked to have done it when i felt like it, not when the truck felt like it. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    okay im done ranting.

deck

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Least it didnt hit your fan and blow acid everywhere.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My battery mount broke on the trail and the battery fell into the alternator...chewed up the side of the battery and then the fan blew all the acid all over everything. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Rene

4. LoggieStyle

LoggieStyle Registered Member

When I was looking for a blazer to buy I test drove one and took it over a speed bump, and then heard a knock and some crazy noises coming the engine compartment. Pulled over, looked inside and found that the battery wasn't strapped down and just hopped out of the tray and fell in the fan that chewed the hell out of it and blew acid and plastic everywhere. I felt pretty bad for breaking the blazer but I decided it was an omen that I shouldn't buy that one.

5. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

Your lucky when mine let go it flipped over and landed on a header. Burnt plastic and battery acid does not smell good.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Geez, you guys. I think I'm gonna go outside and check my battery mount now. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

But thanks for the stories. They sure are funny when they happen to somebody else. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

me too.. i'll go replace the worn out bunjee cord with grade 8 bolts and straps... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

8. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

hey, you guy's made me feel good for catching mine when i did!!! what exactly does burnt plastic and battery acid smell like anyway?? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

deck

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Its one of those smells that brings up visions of oxegen bottles and rotton teeth later in life!

10. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

I was in the middle of the trail and forgotten to strap the battery in and wouldnt you know after a bout of big rocks the battery decides to exit the truck onto the ground ripping the solonoid off the starter and putting a large hole in the battery.......ooppsss...No spare starter,no spare battery,no cranky the engine,7miles into the woods,no power steering .38's and locked front and rear......etc.etc.........Needless to say im a firm beleiver in the rule most clubs have on organized trail rides about the battery being clamped in with no bungees............ /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

11. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Happened to me once too. Battery fell off and landed on my headers. Battery still works, but now my header is all ugly where it landed. Time for some VHT I guess.

12. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Been there done that, now I have new trays on both sides direct from GM.
    Bill C /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

My first wheeling trip many moons ago, I had not even thought about making sure my battery was secure. Wheeled all afternoon, and drove 15 miles back to town. Parked the rig for the night. Got up the next morning, and the damn thing wouldn't turn over. Popped the hood, and the battery was gone. First thought was the LOW LIFE neighbor stole it since there was tracks leading to their apt. in the snow. Thought I'd better check before I pounded on his door at 6am. Look into the engine compartment a little deeper, and the thing is sitting on the exhaust manifold. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif Good thing I didn't get into a fight over it. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

mine did that also, took and made a fram under the tray out of treaded 2X4 works OK

15. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

My bungie cord broke at night time... Looked like 4th of july... Sparks every where as the battery shorted to the alternator.. Then she went into the fan, through the radiator, then out the front grill...
    Not a good night....
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Wow that sucks guys... my batt fell one time, The bolt holding the clamp was too long or something so it didnt hold it down so i bought a bunch of washers and put it down after it fell, but all it had was a bungee cord and when it fell the cord left the batt suspended a few inches above the manifold. . I never woulda known how lkucky i was untill i read this post. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif