Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Bladen County Water Rescue truck...M1008 questions....hummer tires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, May 11, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm a member of my county's Water Rescue department. I'm basically the mechanic for the whole joint. In all, I have to work on a 5 ton military truck, an 89 1/2 ton Sub, an 85 3/4 ton Sub, an 02 F550 Dive truck, and a 1985 USMC M1008.

Here's my situation. Every time we have a hurricane, it floods around here and I have to drive the M1008 around because it is the most capable, and it's not ours so we don't care if it gets wet. It still belongs to the military, so we can't paint it another color or modify it majorly in any way. Well, we have a set of 37" Goodyear M/T's on hummer wheels that we're going to put on this thing so that we can get to more areas without fear of losing the truck. The only problem is that we have limited funding and can't afford anything major like a lift kit. I'm guessing we can trim the hell out of the fenders or add a couple of leaves to the spring packs. I just can't have the front riding higher than the rear and I can't have an insane amount of lift because we have to back boats into the lake with this truck also.

Basically, I need to know the cheapest and most reasonable way for me to get these tires and wheels on the M1008 without pissing off the military. I say this because we can't even mount a light bar on it because it will go against their "loaner" policy.

Also, I'm thinking I'll have to use a spacer on the front axle so the wheels will fit without contacting the tie rod. Let me know what you think.

We would also GLADLY accept donations to the Dept. We are alotted 10 grand a year for funding. 6K of that goes to insurance on all of the vehicles and boats. The other 4K goes toward the payment of the F550 Dive truck. It's 4K a year, so we're left with nothing. I joined because no one was maintaining these trucks or boats, and it is the ONLY Water Rescue Dept. in the county, so any amount of help will benefit. If you have any free or very cheap parts laying around that could help us out, let me know.

Bladen County/White Lake Water Rescue, Station 75

Thanks guys,
    Ash

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> 37s with no lift would require some major hacking, and the Hummer wheels will never fit on the front axle. They have 7" of backspacing and the most you can run on a SRW D60 is about 4.5 before you start getting interference with the knuckles where the tie rod bolts on. You could put the tires on the stock wheels, they will work even though the wheels are pretty narrow. Like I said though, you'll need to do some serious surgery on the fenders to get the tires to fit. </font>

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Under your parameters, i'd say to ditch the idea. Sell the tires and rims, get a set of 35" MTs of some sort, and mount on your current rims. They should fit on a 1.25 ton CUCV.

4. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

my first set of "big" tires on my yellow k20 were 36x12.50-16.6 bias hummer tires on 12 inch rims and they fit with MINOR fender trimming worked well no rubbing even when flexed out my trucks frame is a one ton (every thing is 1 ton except the 10 bolt front axle it came with) you might try a body lift and fender trimming that would be pretty cheap /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

6. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I didn't cut mine back that far But it looks good I like that /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

Forget the hummer rims, they won't fit without changing the backspacing. Sell the rims and try to find some skinny tires like these 11.00x16 michelin XL's. They are 38in tall and made to fit on the 16x6.5 rims that your M1008 has now. I did very minor trimming and they dont rub at all, not even with the 4000 lbs of gravel I hauled home last week. Bad thing is that they are hard to find, but if you search the net, there are deals out there. Mine were $200 for five with about 40-50% tread. Otherwise sell the hummer rims and buy some cheap wheels to mount the 37's on, keep the backspacing in at 4.5 in and no wider than 8 inches and you will get buy with minimal trimming. [​IMG]

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Lemme get this straight. You've got a "loaner" program truck, which means don't fool with it but you're think about hoggin' out the fenders? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif What do GM fender retail for? about $400-$500 each /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Oh ya, they'll love you at DRMO /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. BigOrange90Jimmy

We've talked to the "loaners" and they don't care what we do to the fenders as long as we don't destroy the truck. Anyone have some 8 lug 16.5 wheels that they would possibly be willing to trade for hummer wheels with no beadlocks or runflats?

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

PM'D you about the trade /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I don't mean to be a smartass, but I don't think the dudes who are loaning you this truck realize what fender trimming is since they seem to believe that a light bar will destroy the truck...or maybe it's just gov't logic /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. BigOrange90Jimmy

i've explained it to them in detail and they said they don't care. i don't know what the difference is, but they said it. i think you're right about the logic deal though.

13. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

+hey Ash
    just had ta throw my $.02 worth in the pile
    take the suckers ( fenders and mabe even the wheel wells also ) off completly and put em some were safe were plenty of peolpe will trip over em :-) lol
    and run a suport bar - angle iron from the core support to the firewall and then just carry a stick to prop the hood open when ya need it
    that way when they want the truck back ya just bolt the fenders back on and every one is happy
    i am getting ready to build a anouther k30 were i am gonna take every thing off from the firewall forward even gonna re route the radiater and just run a engine cover
    wish ya wernt so far away i d do the trade with ya also for the rims but looks like im gonn aget a pair here local soon if all comes together as planed
    well best of luck in your quest if i can help let me know /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

14. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

There was a maintance unit in kuwait that had 37s on their m1008 with a tool box bed(very heavy) with only the botoms of the front fenders cut on the stock rims. Id just put them on, cut and drive. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

15. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't mean to be a smartass, but I don't think the dudes who are loaning you this truck realize what fender trimming is since they seem to believe that a light bar will destroy the truck...or maybe it's just gov't logic /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

blazerguy

i take it youve never been in the military. i dont know how they put military and intelligence in the same sentence w/o laughing.

69K5

16. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

limk on some of those tires

11.00 * 16 is like 38.1 NS 9.00 * 16 IS 36.1 IT SAID.

michelin xl