Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Blazer Bash experience

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by mrk5, Oct 5, 2005.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

This was my first Blazer Bash, and it was as much fun as advertised.

The little pictures are links to my photo gallery of the various trails, so you can click them to see the action.

My wife, son and I left Greeley, CO for Moab Wednesday afternoon. The trip didn’t start off smoothly, which isn’t a good sign when our K5 was our ride to and from Moab. I noticed pretty quickly that the front brakes were squeaking very badly, probably a result of having to run back down Holy Cross trail with no hydroboost. So I picked up a new set of pads and a passenger side caliper (long story) to install when I stopped for the night at my sister’s in Grand Junction.

It was perfect timing for fall colors. We saw some awesome foilage along Highway 50.
    [​IMG]

When we arrived in Junction I found that my rear diff cover was leaking badly. Oily residue was all over the back of the blazer, and you know how that smells! My brother-in-law and I replaced the caliper and pads and resealed the diff cover that night. It’s always fun working in a driveway with those little LED lights strapped to our heads.

We made it to City Market in Moab okay and just in time for the Friday trail run. The brakes were working great and the diff cover was not leaking. It was my first chance to meet a lot of new members. Several guys I’ve PM’d with on CK5, but never met face-to-face.

We rolled out to Hell’s Revenge at about 10:30. A certain person leading the group took a wrong turn which gave us the chance to tour and terrorize the local residential neighborhood, but I won’t name any names *cough* Brandon *cough*.

There were K5’s, truggies, and buggies of all types on the trail run and even one full-size Cherokee equipped mostly with Chevy running gear. For those of you who are wondering, there were also basically stock blazers equipped with 33’s and couple of inches of lift. Some guys were open, some had lockers in the rear, and others had lockers front and rear.
    [​IMG]

Once we arrived at the trail, several of the guys played around on the Dump Bump. There was a nice water puddle at the bottom that made it more interesting than usual. Dirk was nice enough to show us how to dig really deep holes in the sand and then smoke the tires on the slickrock. After that we went on up to take on Hell’s Revenge.

The trail was difficult, but not extremely so. Actually it was more nerve wracking than anything else. The trail runs along a lot of narrow slickrock ridges. I’ve never heard so many squealing tires. Anytime the locked trucks were turning, there were tires chirping on the slickrock. There were plenty of steep ascents and descents to make your pulse rise, and I was continually thankful that I had decided to install the new brake pads. The buggies and some of the K5s had fun playing in the Hot Tubs and Car Wash. The Escalator was another obstacle that the built rigs played around on.

We finished up the trail about 6:30PM and everyone headed over to the BBQ. The food was good, even if it was a little delayed. Unfortunately we rolled in late enough that it was too dark to check out all the rigs parked along the road. The raffle was great and there were a lot of cool prizes. I think there were a couple of guys that made out like bandits - you know who you are. Personal thanks to all the vendors that donated prizes to the raffle, especially ARB since that was the one that I won!

Saturday morning everyone rolled into the City Market parking lot at about 9AM. The hardcore group went to Pritchett Canyon. I went with the Sheet Metal Gang to Gold Bar Rim.

There is an interesting story behind a couple of trucks that ran with the Sheet Metal Gang on Gold Bar Rim. Both trucks are from Utah and they had only just found CK5 on the internet a week or so prior. They decided to come and check out this Blazer Bash thing. I think they are all hooked now. They were among the 10 trucks that headed out with the Sheet Metal Gang, which was a group ranging from fully locked to completely open with very nice paint and straight sheet metal.
    [​IMG]

I’m afraid I don’t have much to report on the Gold Bar Rim trail. On the second obstacle I got a little over zealous and caused some loud noises to emit from my 12 bolt. I broke my skinny pedal rule, and did a little too much hopping.

Luckily I was able to drive off the trail. My good buddies Nick (B_to_C) and Lev followed me all the way back to Moab, a 10 mile journey that took 3.5 hours. We took the truck to Moab 4x4 Outpost who just happened to be pulling into the shop after competing in the rock races. They were really cool, and they put the truck up on the rack, pulled the rear cover off, and found 6 broken ring gear teeth.
    [​IMG]
    This is my first major trail damage. Luckily the Detroit and Superior axle shafts are fine. At least now I have an excuse to upgrade to a 4.56 gear ratio. They would have fixed the truck on the spot, but they didn’t stock 12bolt gears. They were helpful and reasonable on the prices. They could have tried to stick it to me, but they didn’t – especially considering it was a Saturday afternoon.

Sunday we met at the City Market parking lot around 9AM once again. The family and I were able to arrange a ride with Ed from Farmington, another K5 owner who had just found out about CK5 and the Blazer Bash a couple of weeks before. The Sheet Metal Gang ran a trail called Fins ‘n’ Things. There were about 10 trucks in the group for this trail run. This time the group even included the notorious Steve Fox – as a passenger of course.
    [​IMG]

Fins ‘n’ Things wasn’t a very difficult trail. There were a few fun places for the more built trucks to play on, and a couple of places that gave the more stock trucks some challenges. A couple of really steep, short descents definitely spice up the trail. The scenery was awesome as usual around Moab.

A few of the guys went on to run Porcupine Rim while the rest of us drove over to Potato Salad Hill. Ed was the only one to attempt it, and he made it look easy. No fear of a rollover. At least now I can say I’ve ridden to the top, I’ll just leave out the part about whose truck it was.
    [​IMG]

To conclude the saga with my truck, we picked up our truck from Moab 4x4 Outpost on Tuesday. Come to find out an installation error greatly contributed to the ring gear damage. I’m just regurgitating from memory here so I may be talking out my a$$, but I’ll give it a shot. Apparently the shop that installed the Detroit did not set the proper pre-load on the carrier bearings. Joe told me when he pulled the bearing caps the carrier just fell out, which I guess shouldn’t happen. I kept the broken ring gear and pinion – which also has a broken tooth – as a trophy and reminder of my first major trail carnage.

At the end of it all everyone escaped uninjured. There were a few damaged and broken pieces that I heard about, aside from my own. Jeff (Stallion85) had to swap out one of his front axle shafts and ended up with a fried alternator and battery. Brandon (Miniwally) ruined one wheel and one of the knuckles on his buggy. Brian (friend of a CK5 member) rolled his trailer and K5 on the highway on his way out of Moab. Luckily no one was badly hurt in the accident.

I’ll be back next year with 4.56 gears and something I’ll purchase with my ARB coupon that I won at the raffle. I’m sure it will be even more fun!

2. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Sounds like all & all, you had a great experience. Sucks about the r&p though. If I had any 12B parts, I'd gladly give them to you. If you want to upgrade to D60/14BFF, get ahold of Rich. I know he's gonna have an extra set :)

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well glad your home and things are allright . Wished it was something simple so we could of wheeled together farther , it was a fun day after all .

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Nice story Scott and I'm really glad to finally meet you. Sorry about the R&P, I thought it sounded like you took it out on that obstical. I'm sure would have had a blast with us if you could have kept going (lucky for us though :rolleyes: ).
    Sorry if I didn't say a proper good bye when Steve & I took off. I guess with all the new people and you being in Ed's truck, I didn't quite put 2&2 together :doah: . Those are some sweet pictures you took of us.
    What's the story if any on getting the truck home?
    Hope to do some more wheelin with you again soon. :woot:

5. mrk5

They had the truck ready Tuesday afternoon.

No problems getting home. The 4.56s preformed great in the mountains, never had to drop out of drive - not possible with the old 3.73s.

It was good to finally meet you also. Seems like we've exchanged a 100 PMs over the last year or so, it is good to put a face to the typing.

6. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hey scott sorry to hear bout the r&p but like you said up grade any it was good seeing you at the picnic and meet the rest of the familia im hoping to have my k5 wheelable soon hope fully by turkey day hope to wheel woth you soon bud

7. mrk5

Awesome! I was thinking about begging you for them. :wink1:

At least it was like I told Nicole, I went down in a blaze of glory.

8. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I will wait or even not see any of mine if just one makes the mag.
    I'm sure you got some pretty cool shots of all of us.......Thanks Bro.
    It's hard enough to wheel let alone take pictures too.
    :thinking: :thinking: Think they might pay you for some of them :D

9. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Scott I'm glad to here you had a good time. I really enjoyed the whole trip even though I broke and basically lost one day of wheeling. It was nice to meet you and your family.
    I think that I had as much fun on Friday on Hells revenge as I did Saturday hauling butt up Moab Rim (under 10mins bottom to top) or Sunday on Coyote.
    I like being out with the other rigs that get to watch the more built rigs get it and see their reactions and desire levels grow as they watch what is actually possible with more investment.
    The only thing that I kinda wish I had done was spend a hour or two each night less out in the parking lot with everybody (including my great freind Jack). Those late nights with to much to drink took their toll on me by Sunday night. :doah:

For those that have been wanting tocome to a blazer bash or that missed out on this one you really should come.
    Moab has such a variaty of trails and terrain that every vehicle can be challenged. Then on trails like Hells revenge guys like me in a buggy just as much fun as the guy in a mildly lifted and open diff. rig.

It's coming around to snowmobiling season for me so Blazer Bash is a good season ender for me and always makes me want to get out on the snowmobile while still having that little thing in the back of my mind that can't wait till the next time I get to take the buggy out and rip on it.

10. mrk5

Just watch out for those hidden ledges.

11. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think we beat that time when we went up to fix yours :eek1: Coming down on the other hand, thats a whole nother story :D :doah:

12. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We were not moving near fast enough going up to beat my early in the day time. :doah:
    I kinda liked the unconventional driving style on the way down. It kept Me from doing anything stupid. :haha: :D