Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Blazer coughed

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Yukon Jack, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

My Blazer coughed . . . and spit this out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been kicking around getting the Blazer running - I bought it a couple years ago and it has set on the back burner. When I initially tried to get it running it gushed oil from the rear main seal and had not been driven for probably 9 years. I decided rather than replace the rear main seal with the motor installed, I would yank it and have the motor gone through - I'm pretty sure a rebuild is in order. Went out last night at 9:00 pm and hit the shower at 12:30 a.m. Hopefully get it to an engine guy on Saturday to see what kind of shape it is in. This is a 400 sb and that is all I know about it.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well I can't see the pic, stupid work firewall, but it sounds like you pulled the engine out?
    Glad to hear you are still gonna get it running :D
    Have a good weekend
    Burt

3. Yukon Jack

Yep, pulled the engine last night - my daughters are very excited for me to get it running. My nine year old thinks a convertible will be very fun - she's right of course!!

4. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Pics

What's the rest of the truck look like, mines got the same paint color.
    Were 400sb's original?? Later J.

5. Yukon Jack

Nope, the sb 400 wasn't offered until a little bit later. This was originally a blue Blazer, and someone did a bad job repainting it. I'm not gonna worry about paint for a while, I really want to get this one running and enjoy it.

6. gauder

gauder Banned

Are those ZR2 fender flares?

7. Yukon Jack

I have now idea what they are from. The Blazer is kind of a hodge podge of parts. The motor is a 400 sb with 327 heads for some reason, exhaust manifolds do not match, it had 73-up front lift springs, all kind of weird things were done by the prior owner(s).

8. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

Previous owners suck!

9. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think that you can get those fender flares from JCWhitney. they are made for first gen blazers.

10. Yukon Jack

Just got off the phone with the engine guy - he said a rod was crumbled up a bit and did a little damage but should clean right up. He said it didn't look like the motor had been bored out before so that is great news. Most interesting, he said the oil gushing was due to the oil filter gasket getting pinched and folding up a little. That is interesting cause someone mentioned that in the past and when it gushed the first time, a few days later I pulled the oil filter to see if maybe an old gasket had stuck to the block, put the filter back on and it did the same thing.

Gave him the okay to get the motor in the machine shop for a 0.020 over bore to see if it cleans up of if they need to bore it out more. He should have it back from the machine shop in about 1 1/2 weeks and then he will be right on top of getting it put back together. Can't beat that!!!!! Vroooooom time before too long I hope!

11. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like I good deal. Any big plans for the motor or just a mild build?

12. Yukon Jack

Just a mild build. I have an Eldebrock Performer intake to go on it, a Jet Stage II 750 cfm carb and the engine guy will put a low-end torque cam in the motor. He will upgrade the pistons from the basic set that come with the rebuild kit and he mentioned a couple other upgrades he recommended. I'm really just looking for a good reliable engine that has some pep to it. That should be a pretty easy goal since it is a 400. Will be fun to compare to the 69's 454.

13. Yukon Jack

Got out for a short amount of time last night. Messed with the transfer case a bit. I need to put in about a 1/2" spacer to drop it down. The crossmember I am using was for a Dana 20 and with the NP205 transfer case installed, it is rubbing on the bottom of the floor.

Next I started installing the front springs. Had to pull out the metal bushing for the front of the spring eyelet and cut it down a little bit. After that, got the driver side to slide right in. Hopefully get out tonight and get the passenger side installed.

I think I will snatch a spare 350 I have lying around and drop it in the engine bay, then I can pull the old 12 bolt axle and put in the 14 bolt. With the engine in, I can then measure the rear driveshaft and also figure out the right angle for the new spring perches. Need to then get them welded on. I can also finally throw in the front driveshaft and make sure it is the right length. I'm using a 3/4 ton Dana 44 to replace the original drum brake Dana 44. This gains me disks up front and I also have a set of 8 lug rims and tires that originally were on my 69 K20 when I bought it, that I will use on the Blazer.

Pics, sure I have pics. The first one shows how ridiciously low I had to drop the front of the truck to get the engine out.

[​IMG]

Next, here is the driverside 4" lift spring installed. These are Superlift springs that I got on off e-bay from their scratch and dent sale. Absolutely nothing wrong with them and I believe I got them for some crazy low price like $29.00 for the pair. Wouldn't have been my first choice, but for the price, I wasn't going to pass them up. I'm using Offroad Design's heavy duty rear shackles and greaseable bolts all around.

[​IMG]

Ain't she just beautiful! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  14. Yukon Jack

Not for more than 2 years has this baby sat on a front axle! Got the engine mounted to the tranny last night and wrestled the front axle in to position. What do you know, the front driveshaft looks like it is gonna fit. Need to pull the front axle out so I can open up the center pin holes on the spring perches a tad, then put it back into place and get ready to set the rear 14 bolt axle into place to get the rear perches positioned right then welded. Also can then measure the rear driveshaft and get it rebuilt and the right length.

Definitely getting closer to having a driveable K5! :laugh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sounds like fun YJ :D

16. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Don't know if your gonna use them or not but I sure like the look of the old "steelies" and the thin nobby tires.

One step at a time eh!

17. Yukon Jack

I'm using these tires and rims. They were on the 69 when I bought them. The prior owner must have bought them right before he put the 69 in storage for a bunch of years. No dry rot and about new tread. Only thing I don't like is the rims are split rims. The tires are real close to 33" tall, and as you can tell, real thin. They will work just fine for now.

Yep Burt, I'm getting closer. I am so dang excited, I just can't wait to drive this vehicle - I've wanted a K5 for along time!

18. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Do the 327 heads have the steam holes drilled tween the center cylinders? I have seen 400s fried cause someone put 350 heads on a 400 and did not drill those holes to match the 400 block. I want to put tall skinny 16s on my K5. According to a sales brochure that I have, that was an option. Right now, I am waiting on a new head for my beast. Its tough to find a regular 250 head with hardened seats and valves. That looks like a solid old rig, gonna have some fun in that one, without worrying about the paint.:D :D

19. Yukon Jack

The engine guy pulled the old heads and I haven't seen them off yet. I'm betting they didn't get the steam holes drilled out. Who ever put them on the engine looks like they just threw together whatever they had laying around. The heads that are going back on the engine will be correctly done.

I got real lucky with this K5 - I got it for either $600 or $650 and the body is in pretty good shape. The rockers both need to be replaced and a little of the driver floor under your feet, but the rest of the metal is in great shape. Just needs a little repair here and there. The green paint is lifting in a few places and I can see the factory blue - looks like it was a great color.

20. Yukon Jack

Guess whose motor is getting delivered tomorrow at 1:00 p.m.

:woot: :woot: :woot:

:saweet::saweet: :saweet:

:waytogo: :waytogo:

Of course I am taking my camera home so I can post some pics.