Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Blazer dies when cold...what's up?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyCaGal, Apr 11, 2001.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

My Blazer dies when cold...what\'s up?

Ok...my Blazer has done this since last fall. I have been starting it up just to keep things working while it's sitting in the driveway waiting for the headers. I want to go ahead and fix the problem now while it's apart anyhow......here's the deal....

It only does this when it's been sitting over night....when it's cold. I start it up and it cranks and chokes. Then it'll fire up big time when I gas it and then sputter out....I'll smash the gas pedal down a few times and then try to start it again. It struggles and I have to keep gasing it to keep it going and reving it up. The whole Blazer shakes when this happens and it's loud as heck. I'll back out of my driveway and ease off the gas to stop and put it in drive and it dies. Then repeat the trying to start it and gas it to get it going....sometimes it'll go and drive and that'll be that once I start it again. But if it's still cold then it'll keep dying until it's warm. So up I go down my street Blazer dying 3-4 times! Then once it's warm no problems and it runs fine. What in the world is causing this? I have an 86, 350, 5.7L, 4BBL carb. Let me know what other info you might need to help me solve this...THANKS!! [​IMG]

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    "What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?"

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Re: My Blazer dies when cold...what\'s up?

Sounds like your choke's pulling off too soon. Mine had the same problem till recently, just need to tighten up the choke spring a little.

[​IMG]

3. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

i had that once, my prob was that my distributer clamp wasn't on tight enough so everytime i started the distributer would retime itself. Try fooling w/ the timing, this tends to help, or atleast solved my prob.

phill

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would say your electric choke is not hooked up or not working some beast's are just cold blooded lol

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]

5. FWP

FWP CRS

The best way to figure out for sure, is to have a friend start it cold, while you watch the choke plate to see what happens. Before you start it, have the gas pedal pushed in once, and let off. The choke should slap shut. start cranking, when the motor fires, the choke should open 1/8-1/4 inch, and be reving around 1200-1300 rpm. After a few minutes warm up, tap the gas, and the choke should open up, and motor should idle regularly. A cold motor needs a richer mixture- higher gas to air ratio, than a warm motor. Try that stuff, and let us know what you find.

[​IMG]

6. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I agree, sounds like a choke problem.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I will look into all these things! Thanks for the info guys! [​IMG]

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    "What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?"

8. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

Sticky choke or bad distributor cap....I've had the same problem in the past and that was what was wrong with mine.

85 Burb and an 89 Blazer
    One just for fun, one simply for pleazer

9. Blue85b

Blue85b Registered Member

I had this same problem, although not as severe as you are describing, last winter. I solved it by shortening the linkage between the rear vacuum break and the choke. That thing is supposed to open your choke up a little bit as soon as the engine makes some vacuum. You need super rich for starting and then just rich for cold running, so before you start, that choke is slapped right shut and then as soon as it starts, it should pull open a little due to that rear vacuum pot. After a while of heating, the electric choke spring will begin to open the choke further until it is fully open at normal operating temperatures.