Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MY Blazer dies while driving and won't restart. HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83K5needaxles, Aug 1, 2002.

1. 83K5needaxles

83K5needaxles Registered Member

MY Blazer dies while driving and won\'t restart. HELP

Driving down the road my engine will cut out and the electrical system goes dead. Once I roll it to a stop I try to turn over the key I get nothing. No sounds from the engine or starter, my gagues don't work, can't use my turn signals, I got nothin. I have replaced the ignition switch, the battery, had the starter and alternator checked at a local auto parts store, and checked every wire I could find looking for a short or something. My Blazer is an 83 K5, GM crate 350 (stock it had a 305), 700R4, 208, D60 front, 14BFF rear, 4.88 gears front and rear, ARB front, Detroit rear, 38.5 swamper tsl/sx. If you have any ideas I would love to hear them please. Thx everyone, Nial

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Re: MY Blazer dies while driving and won\'t restart. HELP

Sounds like a bad ground...

Check battery ground, frame ground, body ground, and engine ground. You might even be missing an engine ground.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You said you checked connections and changed the battery, did you make sure the battery wires had good/uncorroded connections at both ends?

I'd be more inclined to think you have something loose though if it works and then stops..something must be jiggling loose, OR getting hot and not working correctly.

Do you have headlights when you can't start it? If you've got two fusible links near the starter, and you *do* have lights, then thats the problem. I've seen and heard of fusible links only working sometimes...apparently the link doesn't completely burn/melt like it should, so it will be an intermittent problem.

I'd be carrying a voltmeter with you and checking for voltage at the firewall junction block, and if voltage there when its dead, look for (biting my tongue here) an ignition kill switch or a poorly done ignition wire splice in the cab.

Checking for voltage in the engine compartment will narrow it done immensely though. If voltage going INTO the fuse panel, its not anything in the engine bay.

This is why you don't throw parts at problems.

4. 83K5needaxles

Actually when it dies the only thing that seems to work are my headlights.

5. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Mine had the same problem. It mainly happended when I hit big bumps in the road. (Happened immediately after purchasing, so I hadn't had a chance to take it off-road.) After I pulled the air cleaner I found the culprit. The air cleaner had rubbed through the coating on my ignition wire, when I hit a bump it would contact the ignition wire, which in turn caused the vehicle to short out and die. Maybe this is what's happening to yours, just a thought. Good Luck!

6. dyeager535

Well, I may have misspoken, I guess your fusible links can still be good, and have a no start/run condition, yet still have lights. Check voltage at the junction block on the firewall when this is happening. Both red (or orange?) wires from the starter should meet up here (drivers side above the distributor) and both should have 12V. If they do, then no fusible link problem. (when the problem is occurring)

Thinking more towards ignition circuit problem like bad ignition wire, because the intermittent fusible link is *far* less likely than hacked wiring. Check voltage at the firewall junction block and that will narrow it down.

7. 83K5needaxles

I should probably tell you all that I can restart it by arcing the solenoid with a screwdriver and it will fire right back up.

8. dyeager535

hmm

Don't quite see how you can have no gauge voltage if the starter is getting power, and the ignition switch is working. (it wouldn't start if not)

The small wire going to the starter (usually ppl) isn't the problem either then, or it would never start, and won't cause the vehicle to just die even if it were bad.

I'm still thinking some kind of loose connection or bad splice somewhere. All voltage into the vehicle is drawn through the starter, and if the fusible link(s) were bad, it wouldn't keep running, even if it did turn over.

9. 83K5needaxles

Could there be something to do with my distributor? I have an HEI that was on the 305 with an Accel super coil. Would the ignition module or something else in there cause this kind of problem?

10. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yes. Pull off the cap and check the coil. Just my 2 cents canadian or about 1.2 cents US /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

THERE ARE 5 Fusible links on these trucks. 3 at the starter and two just below the junction block. Take a meter and check the big plug onm the fire wall under the brake booster. the wire to check is on the lower left. Big red one. No power then the fusible link is blown at the starter. THe wire is the one that goes to the ingnition swith and the whole right side of the fuse block. anything that has to work with the key on is on the circuit.
    At the starter you will have the main battery cable, the trigger wire for the solonoid and on the same wire as the main batery cable will be two other wires. One of these Wires 'Y" about 8 inches from the starter into tow Fusible links. THe other is single with one fusible link. One of those three is your problem.

12. bUrLyBlAzEr89

bUrLyBlAzEr89 Registered Member

im thinking get a new starter and solonoid and make sure your grounds are good on your battery?