Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Blazer is gone... Fire BAAAD!!! - ***UPDATED*** with parts info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, May 7, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

While leaving a Home Depot today, my truck backfired through the carb and started a fire in the air cleaner. It then was fueled by 87 octane gasoline, and went up in flames in under a minute... no explosions, I'm ok, but the truck is totalled... I was on my way to my Parents' house, and when I arrived, I was going to change my insurance policy to cover all the $8000.00 of work I just put into the truck... sadly, I didn't get the chance, and I only have liability coverage. I'm taking donations for a new truck if anyone wants to know... I know it's a crappy way to go about it, but I'm still paying for the engine, and now have nothing to show for it... I had big plans for it, and now it's gone...

I'll post pictures when I get them....

Oh yeah, and since I mentioned the donations thing... you can send any donations to my paypal account at "dragonriot at charter dot net"

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

that sucks, sorry to hear it. Here is my donation, invest in a timing light and a good carb or fuel injection

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I feel terrible for you but asking for donations is probably not a good way to go about it.

Stuff happens man, pick yourself up and find yourself a new truck when you can afford it.

4. PhoenixZorn

The donations thing was more or less a joke... I meant to post this with it... but forgot... anyway... its working for this guy...

Save Toby

5. PhoenixZorn

Good donation sled dog... actually... I was thinking diesel next time... not as prone to bursting into flames as gasoline...

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Diesel could be good on the pocketbook too.

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Fire extinguishers are good too. Seriously though, I'm sorry for your loss. I put out a truck fire once on the side of the freeway. I now carry fire and theft on everything I own, no matter how beat.

Tom

8. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

You're into Kali, eh?

9. PhoenixZorn

10. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Waterloo, Wisconsin....

Dude, that sucks.... sorry to hear about your loss. So your scrapping the motor? I'd take your motor over a 6.2 anyday.

11. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Man that sucks. Were you able to salvage anything?

12. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Yeah, after a backfire and small, quick fire I keep a fire extinguisher on hand at all times. Cheap insurance, if you can call it that.

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

makes me want to hav a different hood latch, so i could open it with out getting torched

14. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

That sucks! I saw a truck on the New York State thruway today that was up in flames.

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Out of curiosity... anyone ever try and make an el cheapo redneck underhood extinguisher? I was thinking some 1/2" copper hose pointed at the most fire prone area of the truck (Intake and what not). THen route that into the cab, into a standard ABC powder fire extinguisher-. Attach copper hose to a flexible piece of tubing, cinch both sides down with hose clamps... Any of you who have ever used one of them knows that they spread powder everywhere on their own! In case of fire emergency, pull clip, squeeze trigger, and voila, fire out.... all for less than 20 bucks.

Most of the fires I've seen.. its so hot by the time you notice, that you dont even have the ability to lift up the hood to extinguish the fire.

BTW, did you have an open air cleaner or something? Usually if you have the stock air cleaner, it suffocates itself....

16. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Right after I put my new motor in a few years ago, it caught a plug wire on fire and I happen to be at a place where there were plenty of fire extinguishers readily available. Since then I carry a few while out, one mounted to the transmission tunnel and usually one in the back while on the trail. Hate to hear about your truck. Life goes on, put this down as a lesson learned and move on. It will make it a whole lot easier.

17. PhoenixZorn

Yeah... open air cleaner... I think the fuel hose came off the filter after the backfire, and that's what fueled the flame.... I smelled gas right before I got out of the truck, hence why I ran 50 feet before I turned back to look at it.

Thankfully my son, wife and dog were not with me... I would hate to think how I would have reacted if they were along...

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

holy crap. That really sucks. Hopefully you will find some money to pay it off, and find a new project :(

19. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

How bad was the fire? Can't have destroyed everything, you sure it can't be salvaged to some degree?

20. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Hi!

Yes I am. are you?

Tom