Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Blazer: Pong version or Atari 2600?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by woodpecker, Feb 14, 2001.

1. woodpecker

woodpecker Registered Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Hey Guys,

On someone's advice, I bought the Quadrajet book put out by HP publishing. AWESOME book! But it's got me with a question: Does my truck have a ECM or not? I mean, I'm sure it doesn't. The mechanic that checked it out before I bought it said "it's got no computer, so it was easier to check over, no codes to scan." I saved a whole ten bucks. HOWEVER, when reading through the book, looking at the diff. carbs, I noticed that while my Q-jet has NO ECM plug coming out of the top, I DO have a solenoid controling the fuel misture. If there's no ECM, what in the heck is controlling the fuel mixture solenoid?

2. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

Aug 20, 2000
    San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I think the ECM came about in 87 witth the fuel infection. As for the fuel mixture solenoid, i think that it is self contaiined. (controls itself). Most of the sensors and crap on the 80's trucks are controlled by themselves.

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5
  3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Ok, I am almost 100% sure that you have TPS (throttle position sensor) but no M/C solenoid (mixture control) I could have that backwards, but on non emissions controlled vehicles, as the years progressed, GM relied on the TPS as one of the inputs to govern lock/unlock for the TCC. (torque converter clutch) My '83 had no ECM, as there was no reason to...'84's I believe were the same way. No electrical plugs whatsoever. If it WERE an MC solenoid, you should be able to hear it clicking when the key is in the "run" position I believe...I've never owned a GM vehicle with the MC solenoid though, at least that was working.

I can not tell you whether or not you have an ECM, for sure. Even my service manuals do not cover the TPS nor TCC electrical circuits very well. I would have to assume that no, you do not have an ECM, but you more than likely have the same electrical box over your gas pedal that my '83 did, that handled lock up. Since the trucks didn't have to meet the same standards as cars (full CCC since 1981) GM didn't see fit to implement it into the trucks until necessary. TBI probably saw the addition of the ECM. I'd like to knowmore if anyone has the straight scoop on ECM/year though.

My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>