Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my block casting # mystery

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Apr 23, 2006.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i pulled my 82's engine today (finally), and googled my block casting #. it's 4010207, but the closest i can find anywhere is 14010207. is there even a chance that the numbers refer to the same block? i have not found any 7-digit numbers at all that start with "4". i've checked nastyz28, mortec, chevymania, and several other places.

both sides of the block have cfd 207, and the rear has h36 201, near the crank, in case that helps.

thanx

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Is the pad dirty ?

The first number is a 1 , the 7 is actually a 1 as well .

Its a 305 from 1982 , thats what the CFD means .

Pull your heads , betcha 10 bucks thats NOT a 350 , Wish it was for ya , but doubtful :thumb:

3. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

I sort of thought so

the head casting numbers are for a 305, so a 305 block would not surprise me at all. and regardless of what displacement it is, more info is better. and no, the block is not dirty anymore. as soon as i pulled it, i hit it with carb cleaner and a toothbrush and got all the grime off. the last digit (7) looks significantly different from the "1" that is earlier in the number.

4. lockedup72

lockedup72 Registered Member

should be a 350 block. pulled one down this morning with the same #'s. its a 4bolt 350.

5. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

no question about the mains. mine are 2-bolt.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yea the 14010207 is a 350 block, have 3 of them sitting in the garage, mine are all 4 bolt though. the *201 block is a 305.

the CFD on the side of the motor can mean anything, its the stamping pad on the pass side head surface is where you find the suffix to find out what year and what it came out of.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Are you going to be pulling a head anytime soon ? I am curious !!

8. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

wierd...

i checked with a few machine shops about the casting number. all said that it was, in fact, a 350 block. but apparently, the po wanted higher compression, so he stuck on 305HO heads (#14022601, 58cc combustion chambers).

i'm thinking this could be an issue at a shop. they might not warranty the engine with the wrong heads, or won't take them as cores in trade for 350 heads, without charging me a bunch extra. i did always like the low-end torque of the engine. very nice offroad. but i don't think the heads breathe well enough at higher rpms.

i'm sure some of you guys have had more dealings with machine shops than me. any advice or insight would be appreciated. and i'm not trying to start a 305 heads vs 350 heads fight. it's amazing how stupid people get on some of the other forums over this. i don't see much of that here, though. that's cool.

9. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd say save your money up and buy I set of Vortec heads or some good aftermarket heads SDPC2000.com has a conversion kit with both heads gaskets Intake manifold and bolts for around 500.00 with that kit and a mild cam and flat tops 300hp could be easily attaind

10. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

CFD is not his suffix pad stamping code

it is a casting code on the block

he even said it was

he has an 80-85 350 block

i dont like 601 heads, some ppl do but i prefer the 416 heads

but dont toss them just because theyre not 350 heads,

keep them around, i would snag them up if i could get them, i currently am holding onto a set of 416 ones which are identical to those 601's, are 1.84's and 58cc 80-up 305

alot of ppl like to use them and they have no problems other than needing bigger intakes and a little porting

i have run 305 heads on a 355 before in a truck and since they arent huge ports they are good velocity and make good low end low rpm torque, great for a heavy rig

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25926&highlight=14022601

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24766&highlight=14022601

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27055&highlight=14022601

good luck

11. yellowK20

Sorry I may have seeemed to say there junk All i'm saying is for Not a whole lot of money you can have a set of good flowing heads don't throw the 305 heads away sell them, trade them, keep them for another project or use them for boat anchors:D With gas being high I would want to run lower compression I.E. cheaper gas I've run the 416 casting heads they just give up the ghost about 4000 rpm and I like my motors to pull to about 5500-6000 range plus there prone to cracking and warping. which casting# is the 305 H.O. Camaro/firebird head???? we had that argument last night I said it was 416 But I'm not sure I've got a 6-pack riding on it

12. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

that does sound cool. and if this was my dd, i might go that way. but, i really can't devote too much money to the k5, right now. especially since i'm house-hunting. but, by my name it is obvious that i am a fan of the vortecs. i think i'll give ebay a look.

13. yellowK20

Yeah that's an idea you could do it cheaper I'm sure but for conveinace there package is nice I used it on my 86 blazer eagle rotaing assembly (383) Crane energizer 272duration, .454"lift , Holley truck Avenger, thorley headers it mad for stump pulling combo and very Mild Manners I shouldn't have sold it

14. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

anyone tired American Engine Installations? i'd be doing the actual install, but i'd like to know about their products, if anyone has dealt with them, especially in the fort worth area. are their used engines reliable? are the rebuilt ones good?

15. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

I would say no to American Engine Installation-2.5 years ago when my 350 threw a rod-i had my blaze towed there for an engine rebuild- $6500 total price-thet told me the whole motor was bad(heads-cracked block-oil pan(rod thru) carb -fuel spark and on on -says well you will have good warranty bcuz they are is something like 13 states-said no way-had it towed to another guy who builds and races NHRA stuff-$2k with 350 hp and never a prob after that

16. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i know i'm hijacking my own thread, but...

after talking to blaine's, in dallas, seems to know their business better than most places i talked to. but i'm not sure if they keep motors sitting around mcdonald's style or make it when i order it, like whataburger. do most shops keep some inventory of more popular motors, like 350s, on hand? i think they'll take my old one as a core, but if not, i don't want it to be some big argument if i decide to back out. i miss just building it myself. there's a lot i don't know about the shops.

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Only time I've not gotten the same block back from a shop is when they ruined the one I gave them.

Write down some of the ID markings if you are really concerned, and make sure they understand you want THAT block back.

The shops I've talked with don't like leaving stuff sitting on the shelf, but DO end up with stuff when people don't pay and/or just disappear. Probably a good way to get a deal though. :)

18. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

I changed my original post but lets just say BLAINES SUCKS check with the BBB and if you use them check your parts over good- they have been known to sale chit

19. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i've checked both city motor supply and blaine's, as well as some others, on bbb, and blaine's seems to have one of the best records. it hasn't been on there all that long, though. city seems allright, too. i assume that with this type of business, it's pretty much expected that someone will have a problem with the product or service, legitimate or not. i haven't come across a "perfect" one yet. but i'm still open to suggestions.