Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My bosses puter sucks, help me fix it and earn brownie points!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChevyCaGal, Sep 9, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Ok... my supervisor/boss just called me. She bought a used computer at an estate sale. It's an HP and uses Windows 98. This is all I know for now... anyhow they hooked it up and tried to connect to the internet and it doesn't work. They are using AOL (yes it sucks but this is besides the point). She said the pages won't come up. I suggested she try Internet Explorer to see if it works and she said they tried. I asked if she cleared her cache, the history, defraged and blah blah blah.... she said yes. I dunno if they did, but they say so. Anyhow what would cause the pages to not come up? They won't load period. She said she called AOL, but well they were useless. Everything works, just no viewing the web. If I can solve this I will look good. She asked me for help because I one time fixed the printer at work and they think I'm like Bill Gates now er something. So any suggestions where to start here? Thanks.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

thats very strange that the rest of AOL works except the browser.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Try running a recovery program. That should clear all the crap out. On my computer you would press F11 during reboot. It should tell you what to do during a reboot. hopefully that'll do the trick. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

With Internet Explorer, you can click on 'Tools' at the top and select 'Internet Options'. From there if you click on the 'Connections' tab, make sure her AOL dialer (or modem) is listed. If not, you should (guessing a little now, it's been a long time since I had dial-up) be able to go through the 'Add' or 'Setup' buttons to make sure the browser is tryng to connect via the correct account (AOL). The AOL browser might have a similar connection setup 'utility' in the browser, but I have never had AOL /forums/images/icons/confused.gif ...

Hope it helps /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I am a budding network administrator (graduating from the 'Help Desk')

Jon

5. ChevyCaGal

Yeah it's weird... I think she might have her settings messed up as far as security goes or maybe cookies... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like IE is messed up.. AOL uses IE.. Try get rid of AOL and IE.. Then reinstalling AOL.. Since it won't see a IE it will install a new one.. Then it will update inself once on the net..Dan

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Right click on the IE icon on the desktop and go to properties (or go to Tools->options in IE, or go to Control Panel, internet options). Go to the Advanced tab, and click the button at the bottom "Use defaults" or "reset defaults". Then go to the programs tab and do the same thing. Then go to the Security tab and do the same thing.

I had a very similar Win98 IE problem not concering AOL at all. It would say it couldn't display the page no matter what. I went through every setting, restored defaults, uninstalled IE and reinstalled, used a different network card (and the machine did have full connectivity), reinstalled windows using collected settings from the old version, and nothing worked. I finally got through it by wiping the system and reinstalling with zero options that the old system had.

Your problem may not be that dramatic, but if she bought a second hand machine and has a windows 98 cd, she should consider wiping and restoring it to get rid of old junk (viruses, cruddy software, etc.). Just rmember you need a "key" with a standard issue and most other windows 98 cd's, so you'll have to get that from the machine's registry before wiping it out...

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Is she plugged in a net card?

9. ChevyCaGal

Dial up is all. The puter works fine just the net won't come up. I told her to do a few things before she went home tonight. I'll see what she tells me tomorrow. If they didn't work then I will tell her the stuff you guys have come up with.....

10. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

If they bought it used, I would suggest a clean install of the operating system, then you don't have to worry about what other crap was already on there.