Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Brake Pedal is Hissing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Apr 16, 2001.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

All of a sudden I noticed my brake pedal hisses until I depress it completely. I figure its somewhere in the vacuum booster. But the brakes are still very functional and feel the same. The last time my booster went bad I could barely get the pedal to move. And would this in any way cause an engine misfire? Im getting another intermittent miss at idle!!!!!.

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

The chances are it is your booster or the vacuum leading to it. If you notice there is a metal line comming off the back of your carb and to the booster. If you have a vac leak you're sucking more air into your intake and throwing off your mixture. If you have TBI its pretty the same deal, just follow the line off the booster and if thats OK than you know what to replace.

[​IMG]

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Isn't there a vacuum line that attaches to the brake switch or some other switch that is part of the cruise control system? Does it hiss when your foot is on the brake, or all the time except when completely depressed?

[​IMG]

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

gonna go attack it with my carb spray and flashlight right now. I wasnt gonna do it til tomorrow but now Im not going to rest til I find it. I hope its not the booster,its not to replace, just a pain. Plus the 80.00 to buy a new one

Jim

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Whats cruise control? Is that when I put the brick on my gas pedal? It hisses unless its completely depressed. I listened under the hood but don't hear it. Just under the dash. Its definately the brake. Like I said before though, the brakes arent acting any different. Maybe that will be tomorrow on the freeway.

Jim

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

na, cruise is when you sit sideways and use your left foot on the gas pedel. maybe you got a bullsnake up there

[​IMG]

7. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Had the same problem with a previous truck of mine. ITS YOUR BOOSTER.

Bone stock '89 K5..... except for my "Colorado K5.com" sticker. This site rocks!!

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

If you look under your dash you can see two switches by the arm on the break pedal. One runs the brake lights and one runs the cruise. It has a vac line hooked up to that and when you push in your pedal, the switch opens and breaks the vacuum on the cruise. Not sure how the electronic ones work but the brake booster is a seperate entity.

[​IMG]

9. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I'll have to try that Goose.
    Hey Tori, you have to at let me down easy. At least let me think its not my booster. So sooner or later its going to give up the ghost and my brakes wont work?

Jim

10. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Jim..... wel..... your gettin' there man... Denile is the first step to recovery.... Keep your chin up... it'll get better.

TORI

Bone stock '89 K5..... except for my "Colorado K5.com" sticker. This site rocks!!

11. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats funny. This one lasted me 6 years and it was used. Got something to do tomorrow .

Jim

12. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

Could be a leak in your right NIKE air! I'm really really sorry for that, couldn't help myself. Sometimes I kill me!

Denis

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Keep that up and YOU won't be doing the killing, WE WILL! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

14. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

NIKE shoes shoes are like firestone for me. I always pop the air bladder. That, and I'm boycotting nike. They pay people pennies to make shoes they GROSSLY overcharge for. Its absurd!

Anyway I was cruising home from work today and went to get off on my exit and the booster failed. My brake pedfal felt like it was frozen in place. Luckily I didnt have to brake hard. I put it into a lower gear and ran a yellow light. I took back streets home from there. I'm waiting for a ride to the parts house right now.

Jim