Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My brake shoes are cracked

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Dec 23, 2000.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I was suspiscious of my rear brakes. Yhey made clunking noises right before the truck would completely stop. The truck would feel..... I dunno, "just not right". Anyway I pulled the back brakes and there were cracks all over the place, lengthwise. I assume they got hot and caused theses problems I was feeling and hearing. But WHAT CAUSES THIS? they're not a year old.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Were the cracks in the brake pads or drums? It seems you mean the pads from your post. I would say not adjusted properly, contaminated (axle oil), or too hot(again out of adjustment.)

Fencepost eater

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Yeh its the shoes, I thought I said that. I just thought I thought I said it. They were pretty snug coming off and there is no sign of oil so I dunno. Im gonna rip them off take em back. My Autozone does a good job of taking care of me.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim