Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My breather is coughing up smoke

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wes, May 23, 2000.

1. Wes

Wes Registered Member

I have a 1985 K5 with over 100,000 miles. Last Spring I blew a head gasket. I took it to a shop I do a lot of business with and told them to fix it. They called and confermed that it was a blown headgasket but also the machine shop said it needed the valves done too. I also had a preformance cam put in as I have always wanted to and it seemed a good time to do it. Since I got the truck back it has run like [censored]. It is burning oil and there is smoke comming out of the valve cover breather. I took it back and they said the valves are good. They said that because the compression was so good after doing the upper end that it put too much stress on the lower end and now they want to do rings crank and all that. Last year I replaced the carb with and Edilbrock and the manifold. I've invested a lot into this motor and I'm wondering if I got myself into a money pit and my mechanic is holding the shovel. Sorry for the long sad story. What does the smoking breather indicate and does anyone have any coments?

2. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

The smoking could be coming from a varity of things, compression rings shot pressurizing crankcase, valve guide doing same, not allowing valve to close completely, or just straight out blow by, suggest you learn how to work on your own sh#t or get another mechanic..

<font color=blue>White Knight</font color=blue>[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=green>May the dirt rise to meet you and the wind be at your back always</font color=green>[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Mr .White Knight is absolutly right.

They should have done that work while it was apart.One suggestion I might make is look at a new short block, seeing the heads are already done and you have a cam and intake and carb....
    Try <font color=blue>http://www.paceparts.com

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1