Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My bro, my suburban, and our new apartment: problems...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ddragggon, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I've not really been around recently due to moving into a new appartment in Gilbert, with my kid borther. its only been 5 days, and I'm starting to have some problems... first, and foremost, since my brother has just moved back from new york, he has no vehicle, so I, being the nice, and somewhat stupid person I am, said he could borrow the greybeast (73C20, 350/350/205) for a while, for some minor things, until he can get his own car... he's taken this as an open invitation to start racking miles up on it like a madman (yesterday took off while I was at work, got back sometime after I went to bed around 230 AM...) and the real kicker that kinda pissed me off: Made Copies Of My Keyset on it. this may not have been bad if:
    1. he'd asked me ( I would have given him the less bulkey set, since I already have 3 sets of those keys)
    2. he'd been home before me last night, and told me in person (I got home at 1130, and began panicking at the lack of truck in parking lot, and the fact I found the keys on the counter in the apartment)
    3. he had a job, finished putting the furniture together in the appartment that he brought over from NYC, and thrown out all the cardboard from it.

so, now I'm at an interim: the key he does not have a copy to is my Club, and I have 2 spare sets of doorlock cylendars, with the keys that match that... he's a great guy, and my brother and all, but with the wrench time I've put into that vehicle, and with some of the problems it has, I really don't want him driving it around too much, especialy with his damn dirty druggie friends... last thing I need to do is lose my truck because one of his stupid friends had a joint on them when they get pulled over. anyone have some friendly advice on how I should proceed on this?

on another, seperate unrelated note, anyone around here know what the consequences of breaking a lease are? or cutting one off 5 months early?

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

If you can't trust him with your truck, then don't let him borrow it. I don't let anyone (besides Nick) even drive my truck around the block because I know that I don't feel I can trust them. It's not fair to them for me to say, "Ya, go ahead and borrow it" then get pissed off at them for borrowing it. Did you lay down any rules? Or just give him the keys? Did you tell him it's not reliable?
    If it were me, I'd either lay down some rules (and when you get the truck back, take his keys also) or tell him that it stresses you out too much and he'll have to find himself a car or you'll be glad to drive him wherever he needs to go. But don't hand him the keys then get mad cause he's driving it. It is common curtosy to not rack up a bunch of miles on someone elses car/truck, but common curtosy isn't so common any more and you shouldn't expect it out of anyone. Which is why Nick is the only other person allowed to drive my truck without me being there in the truck. She's my baby. [​IMG]

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

on another, seperate unrelated note, anyone around here know what the consequences of breaking a lease are? or cutting one off 5 months early?

<hr></blockquote>
    You'll have to read your lease agreement. Some make you pay a penalty, some make you pay a penalty and for the 5 months you would have lived there if you stayed, etc. It really depends on the agreement.

<font color=blue>Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks are still free.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Have you tried a nice calm discussion about some reasonable expectations? Explain yourself thouroughly before you yank the rug out from under him.

Who knows, some of it might work. And if it doesn't he will only have himself to blame after knowing your feelings.

Dave

Horn Broken... Watch For Finger.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

when I get home, I'll have a talk with him, ( hopefully he'll have bought his own car today.. has an 84 buic reagal lined up for 450 bucks, runs &amp; drives good, etc) let him know that the truck is a loan only, and that he had best have his own car before too long... I believe these to be fair rules: anyone who believes otherwise, chime in with some better suggestions...

-if you drive it, you maintain it, you fuel it, you insure it. if you blow the engine, you owe me an engine, installed, and ready to go. same with tranny, Tcase, and axles...
    -be back by 11 PM, or call well in advance and let me know what the problem is. ( bars close at 1 AM&lt; and last I need is a drunkard to plow into my truck)
    -Drive it absolutely only if nessicary: IE, need to get to a job interview, or get over by the parents place. no cruising ( especialy with pot/crack/tweak head mike..)
    -absolutely, positively no offroading ever. last I need is to get it rolled, and not be the one rolling it...
    -ask before running off with it... if I'm at work/not home, I have a Cel.

I think that is plenty fair, considering he still gets to drive it... anyone else have any other constructive criticisims on it?

-Rich

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

5. muddin4fun

I think your absolute number one rule is this:

1. The burb is available for you in emergancies only! Like you get a call from a potential employer wanting an interview and none of your freinds can give you a lift. This rules out crusing, offroading, etc. You don't borrow it cause you want to. You borrow it because you absolutely have to. Going out with freinds is not a need...it's a want...so, the burb is at home when you're with freinds.

If you're worried about him cruising with pot heads or something...basically what will happen to it if he's out with it with his freinds, then I'd say:

2. If the sun's down, the burb is home safe and sound and all tucked in.

3. You break it you buy it (pending cause of breakage).

4. No hotrodding! Hotrodding it will break it. See # 3 for details

5. You return the burb with as much if not more gas in it.

6. Let me know when you are taking the burb.

7. IMMEDIATLY notify me of any abnormal sounds or leaks. IMMEDIATLY!!!

<font color=blue>Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks are still free.</font color=blue>

6. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

So, muddin4fun, are ya gettin the 25 bux for all these correct answers??? [​IMG]

83K5 Silverado
    What was that bump?

7. muddin4fun

You mean some of them are right? Cool! [​IMG]

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I agree with muddin... Make it "emergency only" if you care about the truck and question his treatment...

Bear in mind that if he does something major with it, like kill someone, police will impound and inspect the vehicle for any potential safety problems. If they find some, guess who's liable...

Another consideration in the event of an accident, will your insurance company cover the damage with him as the vehicle driver? Most companies won't if he's not on the policy, unless he was driving the vehicle to prevent you from driving drunk. That means you could get sued being the titled vehicle owner...

I was going to lend my brother my Jeep when he blew the motor in his little commuter car, with the condition that I list him as a driver and he pay me the difference in insurance (not a whole lot for the short weeks he was to borrow it).

Other than that, as far as the vehicle itself goes, it doesn't sound like he's in a position to give you anything if he breaks something, so I'd consider that heavily... Him "owing" you may not be enough to replace that tranny or 454...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.

9. MRBIGBLOCK

MRBIGBLOCK 1/2 ton status

looks like you had better kiss the ole burb good bye!!!!! cause when he gets done withit it will prolly be a crusher. or the cops will impound it.

10. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I talked with him yesterday ( I would have posted sooner, but I'm moving, and have no net at the new place) and worked it out... the first thing his idiot friend said to him when they were driving to a pool hall that evening was `yo, lets take this sucker out to sycamore creek, and do some wheelin in it!' as he put it `I didn't even dignify that with a response... '

as for insurance, the company has said that if I give permission for said person to take vehicle, then in the event of an accident, they are covered. he now understands he is only to take it for important stuff like job interviews, and he fears blowing the engine ( told him it has a problem, and if he breaks 45 in it, he'll prolly blow the engine, which isn't too far from the truth) he also helped with the oilchange yesterday, and asked before he went to pick up his fiance from her place. I also found out the reason none of the furniture was assembled was his fiance had all the hardware packed up in her stuff, and had been at work/school/church/etc for the last bunch of days.

at any rate, its all worked out now, and hopefully we have no more problems with it...

-Rich