Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My buddy hates his Thornbirds!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Jan 21, 2003.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,
    My buddy just got new 35x12.50x16.5 on his 3/4 ton and he hates them. He said they ride too rough and that they are shaking his truck apart. I told him it was probably a combination of overnight flat-spotting, his stiff new lift, and him being a wussy. I also told him to try lowering his pressure a little to see if that helps. Anyone running these tires? If so, have you had the same experience and what did you do to help? Thanks.
    Sincerely,
    Chris /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

As well he should dislike them. They are by far the worse tire Interco has ever made. They do poorly in any condition. They are mostly popular with the posers and boulevard cruisers.

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

man i hate thornbirds.if he doesnt like them he can give them to me though.haha.just joke.im sure he could sell them if he cant get used to the ride.i dont think the tread pattern is all thet good for traction personnally either.

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I've ridden in a rig with Suckbirds, and then the same truck with no mods and (roughly) the same size TSL/SX's within a week, and there is NO COMPARISON. The SX's RODE BETTER, were QUIETER, and WANDERED LESS on the highway than the Suckbirds. Off-road....no comparison whatsoever. Like running BFG Radial T/A's versus Mud-Terrains. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah, I've always thought those tires were a show tire and worthless for anything else.

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

I agree with Sandman /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Tell your buddy he should sell'em right away. They also wear fast on pavement. Try to pawn them off to someone who owns a heep! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. steelsoldiers

He's going to cry when I tell him what y'all have said. I don't know if I can take it /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Maybe I'll just keep this between us and let him figure it out, nah! Here comes the water works! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Seriously though, he got them from National Tire & Wheel just yesterday, I wonder if they would trade them in?

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Try to pawn them off to someone who owns a heep!

[/ QUOTE ]
    who loves you..............

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

That is pretty much the sames story I heard from a couple of guys I know when it comes to the Thornbirds they were running. Both of them sold the tires within a month or so of buying them.

11. 87sm465np208

personally if i wanted to buy a tire for that id get TSL radials, Mud King Radials, General Tire Mud terrains or AP's. i hear them thornbirds really suck!. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

12. 87project

87project Registered Member

had a set and they rode awful,lowering tire pressure didn't help either.Bought a set of buckshot's and it rides like a cadillac /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 87sm465np208

were you buckshots expensive, and how well do they wear? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 87project

87project Registered Member

15. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Had new set of 35s didn't hate them,just,didn't like them much either.Rode to rough no matter what pressure.Acually liked them in deep mud.Face tread to mild to sink deep and side knobs push forward well{like paddle}.Still sold them after bout 1 month and went back to TSL SX{36}.Guy who bought them was not happy with miles they ran,but ,looked good on street truck. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif on 38s in TENN.{TSLs}

16. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I agree with everone on these, thornbirds are garbage, plain and simple.

17. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

They look good cruising the strip.Shine up real purdy with armor all.

18. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

those suck. i have a set of 35x14.5 on my 81, and they blow ass. i do better off-orad in my 88 with 31 inch worn out Mt's. they do look badass on road, because they look so much more manly going fast down the road

19. steelsoldiers

I think mainly what he was concerned about was on-road looks. I told him to get a set of SS Radials because I had really good luck with mine. They dug like a mother, rode good on-road, little less noisy than Boggers or TSLs, and I got 30k out of each set. I have been eye-balling the SSRs. They are pricey, but I hear they dig and wear good. One of these days I'll hog the fenders out and slap on some 44" TSLs. Yee-haw!

20. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ok, I agree with all that they do suck! A friend of mine had a set and they had terrible tracion in the mud and on the road.
    But I was looking at a set of 38's the other day and was thinking. The compoud on them is pretty soft! COmpared to a BFG MT they are a ton softer(using the scientific bending a lug with your finger test!) /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Here's what I was thinking........ If you groove the piss out of them, wonder how they would do in the rocks? I think they would do really well with the right groving pattern... If someone is willing to donate me a set of 38's, I will do all the testing!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif