Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MY buildup update frame done!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Mar 29, 2007.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

This is my senior project, im starting now (junior year) bc of time and money (earn it lol). THis will be done HOPEFULLY about this time next year...unless i F*ck up somewhere:haha: im 17 and have a job that my hours and schedule are completely random so im not getting as much work done as i would like.

anyway i purchased a late60s early 70s blazer frame. d44,12b,465,205. $250
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    12bolt has been gone throughand ready to go back into truck (still open and has 3.07s...unsure of motor/tire size so im gonna wait)
    [​IMG]
    My plan for this which will change enevitably will be to go through frame,trans,cas,e, axles builda 383. the body will be a 51 ford truck with a stakebed. Ill have to make the body mounts myself so i figured when i made em id lift them up so its like a body lift...rejections?

my progress today was the shackle flip in the rear im 17 and poor, so i decided to make my own. This is my 2nd time welding on this kinda metal i dont think i did tobad. opinions?
    [​IMG]
    unmolested
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    welds?
    I got 4days off this week:mad: so i got alot of time on my hands and rather then sit inside and surf on here i decided that by the end of hte week i wanna be done sanding the frame and have both axles under it again...

flame on :D :haha:

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  2. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey Man,

Why flame? We all start somewhere! I give you all the credit in the world to start on a project at age 17. Hit it and hit it hard as you can and you'll have a truck before you know it! Congrats on the project, keep the pics coming and git-r-done! :waytogo:

Manny

3. broncoman6524

bc my plans include 38s and 1/2 tons:D :haha:

but thanks man

4. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

I dont want to s**t all over your idea but i think i'm right in saying that the way you have the rear shackles is gonna be very limiting as far as travel. When the spring compresses on either side the shackle is gonna move to the rear. The way you cut the hangers isnt gonna give the shackle room to move and it's gonna bind. I know cause i did it the same way the first time and ended up changing it. Other than that (and the welds), it looks good. Great that you are only 17 and doing this kinda project. Hats Off. Here is a before and after pic.

shackle3.JPG

14bff.JPG

5. broncoman6524

im gonna be playin in mud...deep mud. lol and sand so im not TOO worried about flex. althouhg i prolly will eventually go in there with the grinder and widen them out. right now the will sway aobut an inch either way.

6. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Look, if you want to run 38's and 1/2 tons, I'm sure you realize already the risk of breakage and so you're prepared to deal with it. Just raid the local junk yards and pick up spare axle shafts until you are ready to go up in size. Flaming you just because you are 17 and doing the best you have with what you have is NOT a cool thing. It's the attitude that you bring along that will either get you KUDOS or a burnt ass. You seem pretty upbeat, so just run with the big dogs. You've heard all the arguments, so I know you're informed. Keep up the good work. We all start somewhere.

Manny

7. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

I concure. If i listened to everything everyone said i'd still be trying to decide what vehicle to buy. Best to go with your gut. Live and learn. Sometimes we have to do things our way to realize someones elses way may be better. Good luck and keep the pics comming. By the way, diggin on the orange!!!

8. broncoman6524

thanks man.:D it was gonna be neon green...but it just scratches off...didnt know markin paint did that LOL. ah well. i kinda like it, spring hangers,motor,trans,x-case, and diff covers, and steering **** will be that color (chevy orange DUH) LOL. course the first MUD will ruin the look but w.e. ill just wait till AFTER judging to play:haha: course thats if i can hold back the urge to dump the clutch...

i know all about the whole bull**** about breakage on 1/2tons bc its not good in the rocks...mud is alot less stressful on stuff. drive smart you get home. thats how i look at it. im already collecting shafts. (sig line:haha: )

if i can pick up a 14ff kool maybe ill get lucky and get 4.56s already in it but. then i woke up. lol. the yards around here and just like the ****in parts stores "what year and make" :mad: grr wtf happened to a parts guy!? now we got computer mexicans...sorry if thats considered "racism":D

9. pennsylvaniaboy

pennsylvaniaboy 1/2 ton status

just so yah kno im not flaming just suggesting. im only 19 and doin my own project so kudos for that. also with the weld do it gorilla style, "bid, ugly and strong" fill the gaps with nice overlap turn your heat up a tad and at the bottom your gonna want to fill those gaps in i love the face that your gonna put a different body on it . cant wait to see

10. broncoman6524

it didnt come with one...teh body is just kind ahangin out in my yard...project that died a while back. one of those "free just come get it" kinda deals:D i like those kinda deals....anybody got one on 1tonS? just throwin it out there.:haha:

11. broncoman6524

alright so its now got both shackle flips done. and springs are hung...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    wtf is this ****? i cant get the center pin to go in...the axleshfts arent goin in far engouh to let the pin slide by...i know theyre the right shafts. are 10b and 12b c-clips diff?
    [​IMG]

suggestions?

12. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Uh....

You have to pull the shafts out to pull out the center pin...

13. broncoman6524

im putting it back together...lol

14. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Pull the C-clips back out and very carefully grind a little off of each untill they slide out far enough. J

15. broncoman6524

is there a reason for this? i mean it WAS in there...did there get surface rust on em and thats not lettin it push in far enough? its sat for amonth now.

16. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i personally wouldnt grind em. put the pin in first then the clips. did you try that?

17. broncoman6524

not to sound like an ass...but if i put the pin in i cant get the axleshafts out far enoughto put the c-clip on. which would be what the pin is for....

18. obijuan

right right right....
    **** it. 14ff baby

19. broncoman6524

cough im poor lol

tryign to build 2 k5s at once....yeaah its not easy.

20. obijuan

lol **** i can barely get mine going. its my DD i havent had a driveshaft for about three weeks so far. it suuuucks. sorry you cant get a prybar in there? or on the actual axle shaft and the backing plate?