Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My bumper came

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

My badass James Duff bumper came today... I was getting all jittery because ups.com said it was still in Casper, and then around 5:45 there's a bang on the door, and I open it and suddenly I'm having 60 pounds of bent and welded steel tubing dropped off... Only problem is it's not predrilled, so I have to wait till Bob and I get together to do my lift, since my dad doesn't posess a drill or bit capable of doing much more than scratching steel /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

what a badass bumper... can't wait to get it on... It'll look a little goofy I'm sure with no paint on it... but not much more goofy than the 5 inch lift/31 inch tire combo I'm going to have for a while /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Congratulations. However, that still doesn't make it a Chevy. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

the ups guy knocked? wow from what you were saying thats a bit of a change.
    Youll have to post pics of the X when its got the bumper and lift on /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Good thing I'm not trying to make it a Chevy /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I was talking to a manager at work yesterday and we got talking about trucks and four wheeling... He was saying that I should sell my Explorer and either buy something older or something newer to pour all my money into... and something that doesn't have 210,000 miles on it ... I kindly informed him that although 91-94 Explorers have a reputation of weak transmissions and engines requiring a rebuild at the young age of 125,000-150,000 miles, my Explorer is the best vehicle I've owned, and probably the coolest as far as I care. So we got talking some more about some of the trucks he's had, and some of the places he's been four wheeling. This is where he just becomes full of it, telling me that he's done Carnage Canyon in Colorado (rated 5 or 6 I think, looks bad) in his old 99 Dodge Dakota. Now he has a 2001 Crew Cab Dakota that he says will do just as well if not better than his old one, and could easily stomp my lifted Explorer at Carnage.

Now, I'm not usually the competitive type. I usually just go along with the flow and let people talk their trash and think their special and then get on with my life. Not yesterday. I guess something clicked in my head, and I had a great idea. I told him this summer we were going to run Carnage Canyon together. My lifted Explorer vs. his Dakota. No bets going, I just want to see if he's full of crap as I suspect or not /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif No date set, but I'm sure we could get a group out there to make fun of him getting stuck (or just be nice guys and unstick him) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Yeah, the UPS guy knocked. He wasn't the normal guy, so maybe the other guy got fired or something for being a jackass /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

This guy knocked, helped me bring in the 60 pounds of VERY COLD steel, smiled, asked me what I was doing with it, and said have a nice day. I didn't think UPS people had some of those words he used in their vocabulary (have a nice day, how are you, hi, that bumper is going to look awesome, would you like me to help bring these in, they're very cold) /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

Actually, looking at the pictures... If the guy has the balls to take his stock Dakota and maybe put a dent or a scratch in his pretty, shiny red paint, and he goes nice and slow... and has a good spotter and the wheeling experience he says he does... he might just be able to make it... and it looks like there are a lot of ways to get around obstacles... I'm still going to remind him in like June /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It'll look a little goofy I'm sure with no paint on it..

[/ QUOTE ]

if you have to wait awhile before it goes on, paint it now, where ever you drill at just wrap some tape around the spot and center punch it before you drill.
    Scuff it down with some sand paper do a coat of primer to get the paint to stick and two coats of color and you'll be golden! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    If you want to protect the paint put a couple coats of clear over the color and wax it /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Seriously though the clear and wax will let you buff out scuffs, bad thing is it hard to color match when it gets scratched /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

There's one problem with that... I have nowhere to paint it at... snowy and cold outside, not to mention the nasty Wyoming wind picks up any time I go outside with intentions of spray painting anything... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

paint it with a brush and paint in a can.

Those James Duff bumpers are nice, a friend of mine had one on his Xploder. He somehow had 190K on the orriginal slushbox.

That guy with a Dakota is serious? We wheeled with one at the Badlands not to long ago, and it was a joke. He got hung up on every obstacle on the GREEN TRAIL! It was the most pathetic thing i have ever seen. It went no where. Have fun dragging him arround.

10. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

is carnage canyon the same thing as carnage gulch? petersens did an article about that trail a few months ago, and if its one in the same, that man is FULL of it

11. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I've never heard of Carnage Gulch... I know everyone calls it Carnage Canyon, so it probably is a different trail... I know it's either connected to or also named Left Hand Canyon... and I hear there's a trail called New Carnage Canyon. Is Carnage Gulch in Colorado???

12. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Why don't you hang on to the bumper and bolt a K5 to the front of it? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the ups guy knocked? wow from what you were saying thats a bit of a change

[/ QUOTE ]

The ups guy has no choice but to knock drop and run. If we waited 30 seconds at every stop for someone to answer in a day, (30 sec. x 120 stops = 1 hour,) the guy who times our every move would be mad at us the next day. The pay is good at UPS but they push the drivers for every minute of productivity of every day. Just hopefully the driver leaves stuff out of sight from the road and protected from weather. In higher "risk" areas we have to get signitures from everyone, but where I deliver I just leave the package and run /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I still think it's extremely rude and annoying that the UPS guy doesn't knock... but I guess if it keeps the boss off his ass, that makes it a little more acceptable... I figured I just had a jerkoff for a delivery guy /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've never heard of Carnage Gulch... I know everyone calls it Carnage Canyon, so it probably is a different trail... I know it's either connected to or also named Left Hand Canyon... and I hear there's a trail called New Carnage Canyon. Is Carnage Gulch in Colorado???

[/ QUOTE ]

im pretty sure its in colorado. i know it was closed for a while, and some colorado 4x4 club got it reopened, and named it carnage gulch.

16. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My bumper came

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet it was faking it!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    My bumper came

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet it was faking it!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif