Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My butt hurts!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76GMCJimmyinAZ, Aug 18, 2000.

1. 76GMCJimmyinAZ

76GMCJimmyinAZ Registered Member

Took the Jimmy in for new front inner axle seals (everyone on here said it is NO FUN to do yourself) at the local 4X4 shop the other day. Ended up buying new spindles, bearings, seals, 1 stub shaft, both u-joints at the wheels, and they had to "repair" my inner shafts so they would seal... Needless to say, we're not quite at the $200 mark that was originally estimated. How often do you folks repack your bearings? I replaced these bearings about 2 years/20K ago. Haven't been offroad more than 4 or 5 times, never immersed in water- Hell, it doesn't even RAIN here! It was finished yesterday, I'm picking it up today. Haven't got the final cost yet, forecast to be somewhere around $800. Ouch! Now I have to find someone to pull my tranny and x-fer case- my tranny input shaft is leaking like crazy!

GUZZLES GAS BUT IT'S FREE AND CLEAR!!!

2. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

If you lived closer i'd buy you a "BUD" sounds like you could use one, ahhh what the heck you deserve at leats two!
    good luck!

3. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

I've done this many times and it's not hard at all. It just takes a little time and a lot less money. I would highly suggest buying a manual for your Blazer and use it. I've learned so much from doing it myself and feel proud about the finished job. I just finished an engine swap and by taking my time and asking lots of questions along the way it turned out great. I realize that it's quicker to take it somewhere but doing yourself doesn't hurt your ass ( as much ). Hahahahahahaha !
    Just grab all the stuff you need and dig in....good luck !

L8r,

.Riz.

5. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

From one Boring employee to another, my sympathy to your butt! 800.00 american, Wow that's like 50,000.00 CDN.

MIDCAN k5 " DIG A HOLE!!!"

6. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Headin over to Steve88's in Mesa sunday afternoon...if you want i'll bring my special trans - xfer removal tool so you can see it...makes the job cake! With air tools you can have the whole shootin match out in 30 minutes...

AZBlazer

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

7. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

Man! You need to spend some of that hard earned cash on tools, a jack , some stands, and a repair book. That axel work is easy as it gets, ok maybe the seals suck. For an easy $500 you could have all the tools needed to do this job, and much more. The best part is that you learn EVERY THING about your truck like this. The other plus is you don`t get ramrodded at the repair shop. K5`s are a breeze to work on, so go ahead and do this stuff your self. It will make you proud!

8. 76GMCJimmyinAZ

76GMCJimmyinAZ Registered Member

Hey now- don't get the wrong idea about me! I do most of my own maintenance myself. In this particular case though, I had heard (on here) that those seals are a bit$@, and it's about 115 degrees in my garage most of the time right now, and I needed it done soon, so I elected to pay them to do it. For some of the same reasons, I am a little reluctant to tackle the tranny/x-fer case on my own right now- I know neither of them is in need of rebuild (tranny done 30K ago, x-fer case seems to work a-ok), so all I need to do is replace input seal on tranny, and I planned on replacing the seals on case while its out, as well as changing the g.o. in it... I have a Chilton's or something like that, but haven't looked at what it says about removing tranny and case yet.

GUZZLES GAS BUT IT'S FREE AND CLEAR!!!

9. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Is the tranny auto or manual? If it's auto, make sure you check the input shaft bushings (in the pump housing) and the shaft itself for excessive wear (check for endplay in the shaft itself, a little is okay). This can cause excessive blowby from the fluid going into and out of the torque convertor and a drop in pressure that is required to operate the tranny. The seal can be replaced easily with the trans removed. Also check the torque convertor shaft for damage. Minor nicks or scratches can be cleaned up with fine emory cloth.
    Glad to see fellow Boeing employees working on K5s.
    (B-1B program in OKC)

10. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Totally off-topic, but BigBurban your sig pic ROCKS!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Do my wheel bearings once a year, usally before winter.

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

For big ugly jobs, I don't mind paying a pro to do the work for me. I can do lots of the smaller stuff by myself, but the thought of spending an entire weekend on the floor of my garage doesn't appeal to me.........Of course, I'm pretty lucky to have had the same mechanic for the last 8 years who will do slightly-discounted[​IMG] cash jobs for me!