Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My cab is finally back on the frame

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yukon Jack, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

After way too many months, my cab is finally back on the frame! At some point I will get to fire up the 454 - can't wait!

[​IMG]

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

wow that looks good. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

When ya get time, fix that shackle angle up front, it's free. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Yukon Jack

What's wrong with the shackle angle and how do I fix it for free? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

6. Yukon Jack

So it should be like \ rather than / ?

I wonder why it is that way, it is a correct sized spring for a 69. Interesting.

Okay, looked at yours. The previous lift springs were also positioned this way. Very odd. That will have to be on a todo list in the future cause I am eager to stop modifying and start reassemblying and getting to enjoy this truck for a while, it has been torn apart since October of 2002.

7. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I would think that once the engine, trans,t-case, doors ect...ect...ect..are installed that angle will be greatly improved.

By the way It looks bad azz /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

8. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure all lift springs pull your shackle foreward like that. The companies that make them all use the stock dimensions for the spring's "eye to eye" when they should add a few inches. It looks like you've got ORD shackles, you'll need to make your own if you move the shackle mount because it will move upwards in your frame causing the shackle to be too short. I'd leave it the way it is since you're adding a big block to that truck and that should help get the shackle close to where it needs to be. Just my $.02

9. Yukon Jack

The big block is sitting in the frame so all that will change weight wise is the front clip and interior.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    So it should be like \ rather than / ?

I wonder why it is that way, it is a correct sized spring for a 69. Interesting.

Okay, looked at yours. The previous lift springs were also positioned this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is that way because the stock springs are negative arch. Nobody at the lift kit companies had enough brains to realize that the shackle angle would be backwards for positive arch springs and as a result we all have crappy shackle angle in stock form.

[ QUOTE ]
    The big block is sitting in the frame so all that will change weight wise is the front clip and interior.

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed that before I mentioned this in the first place. If that was your shackle angle with no motor it probably wouldn't be so bad. having that be your shackle angle with the engine installed makes it terrible.

It took me a morning to do it but it was well worth it for the increase in flex (especially droop) and better ride quality.