Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my clutch is f'd.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Mar 24, 2007.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok, so i pulled my engine yesterday, i'm doing some maintinence.

i knew that i needed a new clutch, which pisses me off b/c i bought this one last august. anyway, pulled the engine out 24 hours ago, clutch hadn't been bothered for 24 hours before being pulled. when i pulled it, about 1/3 of the fingers on the clutch looked to be permanently forced downward! :eek1: that would explain all the chatter, i suppose! the springs in the clutch disk are messed up too, as they've been riding on the flywheel! :mad:

so, i just went out and got these parts from the car and was going to take pics for y'all. come to find out, the fingers pretty much came back to normal since last nite. :mad: that'll make getting the warranty harder, i suppose. :doah:anyway, the pics show a bit:

first 3 pics show messed up springs in the clutch disk (what do those do, btw?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this pic shows that the fingers are still not perfect, even tho they came back enough to where you can't tell w/ the naked eye.

[​IMG]

this pic shows the level on the ground directly below where i tested the fingers to prove that my surface is flat.

[​IMG]

thoughts?

2. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Time for a resurface on the flywheel, new clutch fork, throw-out bearing and CENTERFORCE DUAL FRICTION. Also check your clutch cable "catch" point. It may be too low.

Manny

3. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What was the symptoms you were experiencing with the clutch?

4. colbystephens

manny - talk to me about the catch point. where's the right spot, etc.

chevy305 - they weren't like the one's you describe in your thread. my clutch chattered like hell, tho i htink that partly was due to the oil the engine was puking (thus the maintinence). it also got to a point where i couldn't get it into gear w/ out grinding reverse or low really bad, so i had to adjust the mechanical linkage so i could push the clutch in further... then i would start having the problem again, so i had to adjust... it was cyclical and annoying as hell. this was a 'brute force" clutch by zoom - POS. not getting that kind again. i'm going to ask the parts store to warranty this one out and put the money toward my new sachs clutch. we'll see how that goes - cross your fingers.

5. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Colby, check out 10,000 RPM for a clutch...http://www.10000rpm.com/ They will flat hook you up. I have used their products with GREAT success.

6. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey Colby,

Make sure your clutch pedal comes up about an inch or so before you feel it catch. Some run their catch points right near the bottom of depression and that can be a problem. It will not allow for true 100% disengagement and you can experience the problem of bent fingers. Like I said before, it does sound like you need a new clutch fork. The only way you will know is by pulling it. They aren't too expensive, so it's better to be safe than sorry. Ask me how I know. Haha.

You didn't mention if your clutch was cable or hydraulic. If cable, check it real good for fraying. If any, I'd replace it. JMHO.

Hope this helps.

Manny

7. colbystephens

so can i pick up a clutch fork at any parts store?

8. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

9. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Just went through the pleasure of doing a clutch myself. I would change everything, fork and all, because it's such a PITA to change things later. Luk makes a good clutch. GM offers some of the parts, too. Summit has aftermarket replacements for the fork and TO bearing that may be a bit stronger.

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

please take a pic of your flywheel bolts to crank flange. i think you might have the wrong bolts in it. i just removed a clutch as the dumby who installed it used store bout bolts and the heads were to thick. the disk rubbed just like the one you posted on the springs and inner hub area.

11. colbystephens

interesting. i don't have the bolts here at the house, so i'll pick them up at the shop i'm working at today. they are the ones which i had used to install my flexplate when i had the manual tranny - and they came with the truck when i bought it. however, i know the PO did a terrible half assed job of rebuilding the engine when he did it, so you never know. :) i'll look into new bolts at the parts store today. :)

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Manny, our trucks never used a cable clutch...the manual clutch is bellcrank and links.

Rene

13. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Colby, the clutch disc is actually 2 pieces. The inner piece sits on the input, the outer piece engages the flywheel. Those springs provdie some give so that when you have sudden jerk to the drivetrain it eases the damage to the clutch...

14. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

new bolts would be good idea. but also there is flex plate= auto tranny ones and flywheel=stickshift ones. this is cause the flywheel is thicker than a flex plate.

15. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Colby get us a pic of the flywheel as well. Something was rubbing on those springs to cause that damage.

16. colbystephens

ok, i'll pick up some flywheel bolts then. the springs were rubbing on the flywheel - it's getting resurfaced today, so i won't post a pic of that. :)

here's a pic of my flywheel bolts compared to a 3/8 drive extension... but i'm replacing them anyway b/c of sweetk30's comment...
    [​IMG]

and here's a pic of my gorgeous clean engine! :D
    [​IMG]

and one of the dog's up at the guy's house who owns the shop i'm where i'm working on my rig:
    [​IMG]