Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My comp is F'd; reconfig or can I fix?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by balzackks84, Jul 5, 2005.

1. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know its hard to try to comunicate this type of problem without actually looking at the comp but here it goes...

My comp starts up fine and runs but every 5 seconds or so a typical windows error message pops up "error yaadadada, send message to microsoft?" type thing. clicking on show error log at the bottom it says "c:\docume~1\zack\locals~1\temp\wer31.tmp.dir00\appcpmpat.txt". When I try to find/get into that file my address bar in c: changes to "res:shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm" and displays a "page cannot be displayed" (this is not on the internet just on my c: hard drive, weird).

So I just hit the "don't send" button on the error window. It goes away but then my hard drive clicks, stalls and closses all open windows, applications. If I don't click "dont send" on the error window I can usually mess around in my comp and try to find stuff for maybe 5 minutes then everything freezes unless I close the error window. The whole process repeats indefinately every 5 seconds. Another odd thing is that along with all this my comp isn't recognizing an internet connection (the comp im on now and mine are both on the same router) and I know that it is receiving it.

Anyone have a clue? I have run a "disc check" and tried my best to find any corrupted files and i turned off all aplications and processes at startup. I really don't want to reconfig because all my stuff is pirated and I have no backup discs (gawd im stupid :doah: ).

I'm jonesing so bad for some CS. :mad:

2. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Can you run a virus scan?

3. balzackks84

I don't have the software to on that comp and highly doubt I could get something on it the way it is.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Will it start up O.K. in "safe mode"?

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It sounds like either a virus or a bad spyware. I'm thinking a virus replaced something important, and every time windows tries to use the replaced file, it crashes. Or, something windows is trying to use is corrupt (could be a failing hard drive).

Can you post up more details about the error? Maybe go to task manager and see what apps are running the moment of the error.

Try going start->Run, type %temp%, then hit enter. It should open your temp folder, and you might be able to navigate to the appcomp.txt file, and maybe open it and see what it logged.

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

It sounds like you have a bad sector on your hard drive. Unfortunately the only way to make that go away is to low level format (not the format you do when installing windows) your hard drive, which will erase everything. This will find bad sectors and remap them.
    Or if you really want to save your data you'll need to get another hard drive and install the OS on that, then plug in your current drive and copy every thing over to your new drive. Then you can low level format it and use it as extra storage.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Well Have you tried starting in safe mode?
    i have seen viruses do what you are describing
    Use safemode with network support and you can access the internet and do a free online virus scan at http://www.trendmicro.com
    Also try system restore (if you have it) in safe mode.

8. balzackks84

It does the same thing in safe mode.

And it wont let me run anything in my "run" comand. Just freezes.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  9. balzackks84

Ok... so i made some progress.

I was able to get into my temp files by entering %temp% in my run comand prompt. I found the file it lists and it says something like;

"<matching file name>advapi32
    <matching file name>gdi32.dll
    <matching file name>kernell32.dll
    <matching file name>ntdll.dll
    <matching file name>ole32.dll
    <matching file name>oleaut32.dll
    <matching file name>user32.dll
    <matching file name>wininet.dll
    <matching file name>winsock.dll
    [/exe]
    [/database]"

All of those are labeled as microsoft software.

Now I'm thinking... these are temparary files, whats stopping me from just deleting all of them?

I also found multiple other appcompat.txt files with the same or slightly different content.