Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Company's New Website

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wasted wages, Oct 26, 2005.

1. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

FINALLY !!!!

This is my company and what I do for a living !!!!!

http://www.servref.com/

Kick the tires and let me know what you guy's think of the site,,
    good or bad,,,

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Your sire is not even valid HTML....you are missing the DOCTYPE on every page. It should be before the <head> tag. Something like this...

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> There are a few other things in the html that look a little wierd, like the importing of the .css. If it was linked it would be easier to apply sitewide changes. However at the same time having it imported to the source code forces some browsers too see it. Mostly this is not an issue any more with the compliance to CSS becoming the norm.
    Edit your META - Keywords a little. It will help with some of the search engines, but not really as much as some people think.

Other than that the site looks pretty well layed out and easy to navigate.

3. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Huh ???

Your sire is not even valid HTML....you are missing the DOCTYPE on every page. It should be before the <head> tag. Something like this...

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> There are a few other things in the html that look a little wierd, like the importing of the .css. If it was linked it would be easier to apply sitewide changes. However at the same time having it imported to the source code forces some browsers too see it. Mostly this is not an issue any more with the compliance to CSS becoming the norm.
    Edit your META - Keywords a little. It will help with some of the search engines, but not really as much as some people think.

Care to say that in terms a dummy like me can understand?? ???
    I'm not the webdesigner. We paid someone to build this site for us,,

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Just look at your source code and you will see that the DOCTYPE is missing. Compare it to the source code of the page you are looking at right now.

The META Keywords i was talking about are like this on your site now...
    <meta name="keywords" content="Refrigeration Consulting, Refrigeration Planning and Design, HVAC Planning and Design, Controls and EMS. Equipment Sales">

It reads exactly like your Description....
    <meta name="description" content="Refrigeration Consulting, Refrigeration Planning and Design, HVAC Planning and Design, Controls and EMS. Equipment Sales">

I would change the Keywords to something like this....
    <meta name="keywords" content="Refrigeration, Consulting, Planning, Design, HVAC, Planning and Design, Controls, EMS, Equipment, Sales, ANY OTHER KEYWORDS THAT YOU THINK A POTENTIAL CUSTOMER WOULD SEARCH FOR IN A SEARCH ENGINE">

Be sure to seperate each keyword or phrase with a comma like i did.

CSS is "Cascading Style Sheets" We could have a long conversation about them but it takes more than talk to learn it. Search on Google or WC3 for CSS and you will get a glimpse of what they can do.

5. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I do tons of html, and I do it by hand in notepad.

Don't need any sort of doctype tag in there.

Infact, the browser completely ignores it, due to the <! infront of it.

I'd agree on the meta tags though, you could likely get better search results if you were to put more keywords into there :)

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

You are correct in saying that the DOCTYPE is not a strict requirement. However if you are using frames for example, some browsers could be confused about what type of html you are using if you do not include the DOCTYPE.
    That is just one exapmle of why they are needed in some cases. Keep in mind that traditionally the DTD was not a requirment. Now, however they are becoming more and more needed, since there is more than just HTML and HML...

A quick Google search found this.
    There is more too it than that but you get the idea

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Definatly put the phone number waaay bigger!!!!