Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My complaint of the day

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Shaggy, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I been complaining ever since I started posting back on CK5, but at least my complaints give people something to read, which sort of brings me to my point.

I remember back before all of these fancy animated smilies were available on CK5. I remember that if you went into a forum and saw that threads had new replies on them, you could go into that thread expecting to get some good information, or possibly read a humorous reply to a joke or something. Now that we have animated smilies, it seems like 75% of posts are just people replying to say /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif 20 times or /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif over and over again. Sometimes they get creative and say /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif AND /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif! Crazy!

Is there really a point to it? I mean, could you at least SAY something? It's no wonder that some of these young wippersnappers can rack up 3000+ posts in 6 months, they don't even have to think of anything to actually say! Every time someone posts a joke they just reply with a few smilies! Come on people, put some effort into it for god's sake! Instead of starting a NEW thread with your joke, reply on another thread with a joke of your own or something, so I don't have to waste my frickin time opening a thread just to see -

/forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

It's just not entertaining, and lacks creativity. I knew it would happen once the animated smilies showed up, because every time they've shown up in other forums that I've been on, the same thing happens. Creativity and conversation go down, post counts skyrocket.

Anyways, back to your regularly scheduled postwhoring. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

*EDIT* - Please don't take this as complaining about every instance of this, I've done it a couple of times, but only to things that are really really funny or totally outrageous. There are some people that reply to everything like this though. Surely EVERY joke doesn't make you crack up and warrant such a response. And yes, I realize that most of the replies to this will probably be exactly what I'm bitching about, you cockknockers. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifi had too

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I remember back before all of these fancy animated smilies were available on CK5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn I'm having problems. First I thought a previous post on similes was someone misspelling "smiles", and then just now I was trying to figure out what animated similes were when it really did mean "smiles" /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I remember back before all of these fancy animated smilies were available on CK5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn I'm having problems. First I thought a previous post on similes was someone misspelling "smiles", and then just now I was trying to figure out what an animated similes were when it really did mean "smiles" /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

An animated simile would be when you use lots of hand gestures to demonstrate the fashion in which you'd attempt to drive a straight pin up your boss's ass with a sledge hammer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif....

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

You old grouge! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Dude! You need to go camping and drink some beer /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I need alot of things, but those two are among them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'm gonna have to agree with ya, Shags. It's kinda funny to scroll down in a joke thread and all the replies are just:
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    or
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    or sometimes
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

No
    "Damn, that some funny shite! Lemme tell y'all about this one time..."
    or
    "That joke sucked balls!"
    or
    "I know someone just like that! Rubberpants and everything!"

I say bring back the creativity...

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

You've been waiting for the opportunity to say "rubberpants" for years now, haven't you? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

I'm glad there's at least one other crotchety old dude that agrees with me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't think jokes really count as much under this. I mean before the animated smiles people w ould just reply with "haha" how is a smily doing the samething that much worse?

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think the decline of some of the tech here at CK5 is far worse than who posts smilies in the lounge.

15. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I have not been around that long to remember "all the good tech" but if I understand that correctly, that would mean that there are or were some really good technicians on the site. thats too bad because everyone can always use alttle help. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

16. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Ehhhh go do some chores

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Tim and I have discussed this a bit, nowadays there is a lot of newbies and a lot of rehashing the same old stuff over and over. No hardcore rock buggys or out there fabwork really happening. I mean who here has built their own doubler lately? I remember one in the works a while back but havne't heard about it again.

18. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Ive almost accepted the fact that CK5 is more of a place where newbies get their start in the offroad world and Pirate4x4 is where the good tech is. I come here mostly for the diesel forum and to keep in touch with midwest guys now. I go to pirate to get good tech and really learn something (sometimes). If this site was a better mix of the two that would be perfect IMO.

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it used to be closer to that mixture in my opinion. I hang out on Pirate more now.

20. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Some people don't care about rock buggies with -10 departure angle and tube gas tanks, they just like K5's, this is the place for them (or us in my case). Pirate is for those whose primary goal is crawling and may or may not happen to have a K5 as their base vehicle.