Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Crank

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wally81k5, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

Who here has done any of their own work on a crank. Mine has some scratches, but i think i can polish them out without takeing the crank out of round. How deep can i polish out the crank before i run into problems? Any one know somthing i should before i try it?

2. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

I'm no expert, but I don't think you could polish a crank out of round enough to matter. Just use some super fine emery paper, set the crank up on the bench, hold one end of the paper in each hand, and saw back and forth.(think shoe shine) Your arms would fall off before you took more than a couple thousandths off.

3. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I like when my crank gets polished /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Jim
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm with Jim.....LMAO!
    How deep are these scratches? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Are you sure its not cracked or has it been rolling around in the back of your truck...if fine paper will work then use it, I would use a Ruby stone on it, they take off only the high spots...or you could send it out to be polished...

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif <font color="red">LETS GO ANGELS </font color> /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I hear there are destructions on the net for crank building and the cops around here are busting crank labs all over, do you really want to work on crank? Oh wait, wrong forum, sorry.

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Pay a little now, or a lot later. Take it to a machine shop and have them do the polishing, or perhaps grinding if it should merit. I think you'll find that the prices shouldn't be too bad and you'll feel alot better knowing everything is kosher on the bottom end. Heck you could get a new scat stock replacement crank for $165 through northen autoparts. Grinding will be about half that price and a polish even less.