Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My CUCV engine is FUBAR!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by steelsoldiers, Feb 2, 2004.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Well, a couple of weeks ago, my CUCV died all of a sudden when I pulled up beside my deuce and I thought it was a bad electric lift pump. I replaced the pump and then tried to bleed all the air out. I cranked and cranked but only got diesel to drip out of 3 injector lines. It was making wierd sounds out of the intake and wouldn't even start on ether[glowplugs unhooked]. Today I found out for sure what happened. I worked Saturday afternoon and this morning and tore the front off of the engine. When I got it tore down, I discovered the problem rather quickly. The cam bolt had vibrated out allowing the cam to work its way back into the engine farther and farther eventually to the point where the pump driving gear fell off the end of the shaft. This is why the engine died. After the pump gear fell off the timing gear the worked its way off of the key and the cam jumped time. This happened after the engine died because it wasn't until I was trying to bleed the imaginary air out of the injection lines for about 20 min. that it started blowing air up through the intake on several cylinders. Now there was also the issue of oil coming out the back of the engine. Isn't there a plug in the end of the block right behind the cam? Maybe the cam worked back enough to dislodge it? An even worse thought is what if the cam went back enough to allow the lifters to drop off of their cam lobes? Then, I won't be able to pull the cam forward without pulling the lifters up out of the way. I couldn't try to pull the cam forward today because the end of the cam bolt had been all galled by the cam after it slipped forward, maybe it screwed up the threads in the cam too. Arrghhhhh!!! This sucks! Any thoughts? I am thinking the engine will have to come out and be tore apart to make sure that all is well. Maybe I'll just park it for now because I am going to be swapping in a new diesel drivetrain anyways, but I wanted to drive my truck until I was ready to swap in the Cummins! Crap! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Chris

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Sorry to hear that man.
    I guess if you are getting ready to swap the CTD in, don't bother wasting your time or money on this one, you did major damage and short of getting a cheap ~$100 engine and rop it in I think you should concentrate your energy on the CTD.

3. steelsoldiers

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking too. I'd hate to put any more cash into it right now just to use it for another month or so. It can just sit for a while I guess. If I want to go off-road, I'll just have to drive my deuce-and-a-half /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Was this the one with the gear drive?

Rene

5. steelsoldiers

Yep, it sure was. I tightened the cam bolt to spec with locktite and it still backed out. I don't know what I could have done to prevent it. The gear drive was undamaged. It still looks brand new.

6. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem on my '86 K-10 6.2L.

The engine had been rebuilt right before I bought the truck. It suddenly died on me one day as well. Wouldn't fire a lick. I discovered that the injection pump wasn't turning over with the engine.

After I tore the front cover off, I too discovered a loose cam bolt. Luckily, all that happened to me was that the bolt backed out, the cam gear that drives the pump gear wobbled a bit, and the key sheared off on the camshaft. The timing chain, gears, and keys remained intact.

When the cam gear wobbled, it also put stress on the injection pump, so the locating pin on the pump sheared off too.

All I had to do was install a new key on the camshaft, reinstall the cam and pump gears, and she was good to go. I had to tear into it a second time, though, because I had a knock in the engine. Turns out there was a small nick on the pump gear that must have resulted from the locating pin getting caught in between the gears. I had to file the gear a bit, and then the noise went away.

My camshaft didn't move, so I was lucky there.

I also had to pull the oil pan off in order to remove the missing locating pin and camshaft key. For such a small failure, it was a real pain to repair.

I'm afraid this doesn't help your situation much, but at least I know what you're going through. I'm not sure what the best thing for you to do would be. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Casey

7. steelsoldiers

Thanks Casey, it's nice to know I'm not the only one this happens to. Glad you got your situation worked out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'll keep you updated on this end.

Chris