Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my custom machined shackle mount. pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rdn2blazer, Jan 19, 2006.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

Here are the shackle mounts I've been working on. These replace the front leaf spring rear stock cast shackle mounts. I made this for several reasons:
    1, because I can
    2, so I wouldn't have to dissassemble the suspension to grease the bushings
    3, so I wouldn't have to use a drilled bolt with a grease fitting in it to grease bushings. I can use solid bolts which of course are stronger bolts. 4, so I could use bigger, thicker wall bushings to hopefully improve ride and or add some aditional flex to the suspension
    5, Because they look pretty cool

The sleeve is Titanium. There is a .125 full radiused groove around the outside diameter of the Ti. sleeve and 4 cross holes drilled on centerline of the center of the groove so as you push grease through the aluminum body it will fully grease the bushings very well. Also, there are 2 holes in the bolt sleeve to get grease to the bolt aswell. Im going to use 9/16 grade 9 bolts for the spring eye and 1/2 grade 8 bolts to mount it to the frame. I can even use 5/8 bolts with a 1/16 wall bushing for the spring eye if I wanted to. the Ti. sleeve was frozen and the aluminum was heated to attain a .004 to.005 grip fit, it aint going to slip or spin in the aluminum. I even had a bud that has access to anodize, anodize it clear for me. It has kind of a green hue to it. what do ya think?

DSCN0681.JPG

DSCN0679.JPG

DSCN0680.JPG

DSCN0684.JPG

DSCN0685.JPG

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

wow thats purdy. looks sharp

3. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Nice, You're gunna hate to get that dirty:D

I think the weak link will be your frame now:doah:

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

It is so beautiful that I want to cry....

seriously.

5. rdn2blazer

i did not make this part on a CNC machine i did this part all conventional mill and lathe work, just goes to show you dont have to have the super wazoo CNC machine to make some trick parts :D .

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you should have made it in a cnc because you are going to get orders, i can tell!!

sharp work, how many hours?

7. rdn2blazer

more pics. the small bushing on the left is a ord bushing i got with my HD greasable shackle kit. i need to drill out one side of the shackle plate to 9/16 to accomidate the bigger bolt i can use now.

DSCN0222.JPG

DSCN0232.JPG

DSCN0652.JPG

DSCN0654.JPG

DSCN0221.JPG

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Oooooooohh,

Send me a pair and I'll test 'em out for you. I'll get back with the rusults in 20 years. :D

9. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

That is some really nice machine work!!

Puts the ones I made out of plate steel and tubing to shame for sure.

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

That is some good work . I wish I had an old bridgeport or something at home :D

11. rdn2blazer

The shop I'm lead machinist at of does not have cnc's, i have 15+ yrs exp. with cnc's and machining so yes I wish we had a few cnc machines. BUT it didn't take me long at all to make these. I have some hours into these but all in all it wasn't too much to me. I dont exactly know how many though.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Awsome work! If you deside to sell any let me know I may get two sets (74 & 78) could use new ones ......

13. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

:eek1::eek1::eek1::eek1::eek1::eek1::eek1::eek1::eek1::eek1::eek1:
    :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:
    I would LOVE a set of those for the '84. ANYTHING to add beef & poss. ride quality to it I'm down with:waytogo:
    Let me know if U can be bribed into making another set:wink1:

14. rdn2blazer

Geargrinder, I would love to go in to bussiness and make stuff to sell. I have tons of ideas on parts. The problem is that with the cost of material nowadays its not worth it. There is about 150 bucks in Titanium alone. About 75 in aluminum and then the hours in machine time. our shop rate is near or at 100 bucks an hour. There is probably at my payscale in labor over 750 bucks! Add on material cost and your looking at close to 1000 bucks. At shop rate it would be even more. So as much as I would love to make stuff for people its just not worth it, sorry to disappoint. :( These parts didn't cost me anything to make, only my time. I can use any material I want at my machine shop. My boss says that is one of the perks for working at our shop along with using the shop equipment on my own time.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  15. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just for perspective - how do your 4 holes line up with the stock 6 holes/rivets?

I want some, cuz you can make em, I want them :D:pimp:

16. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Wow, that's sweet !! And yeah, there was machining even before computers !!:laugh:

17. rdn2blazer

6 hole ? not sure what you mean. these replace the rear of the front spring cast frame mount. my 73' is mounted with 4 rivets.

18. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK, gotcha. Had my tetragonal scalenohedron multiplexed in an inverse manner.

I still want them, actually more as my truck eats the rear shackle bushings for lunch.

19. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

I don't think they are any good at all. In fact, if you send them to me, I'll get rid off them for you and you'll never have to think about them again.

Seriously though, you have quite a skill, they look great, and will look even better mounted up. :bow::bow:

Al

20. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

I think that in a few of thousand years after nuclear holocaust and california is subducted an underwater archaeologist will find those at the bottom of the ocean, with bits of rusted k5 frame attatched, dust them off and bolt them onto his helium powered rock crawler because its just what he needed.

Seriously those things are awsome.. Its like wearing fancy underwear... People cant really see them, but your happy cause you know they are there.

On a side note: What tooling do you use to machine your Ti? Will carbide inserts work on it?
    Also what kind of speeds do you turn Ti at?

I have a bunch of it at the house but I want to know how to work it before I go and just chuck it up in the lathe and destroy a cutter and a spensive chunk of Ti.:doah: