Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my dads burban died on me, whats up now?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 55Willy, Dec 27, 2003.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I was on my way o get my brother last night when my dads burb quit running on me. it just coasted to the stop sign. it will not crank over. we swapped batteries, cleaned al battery ends, by passed the alternator, and bench tested the starter all these elements are fine,

what gives????

when ya turn the key all it does is dim the lights and the starter just clicks.

bad ground?

my brother says i seized the motor, LMAO!!! if so then it was the nicest smoothest seize job,LOL

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

check the oil of course..
    but if the starter just clicks, im willing to bet you have a lot of corrosion on a cable end..maybe from the alternator or to the starter.. are ALL large guage terminals clean and corrosion free? possibility because if the starter bench tested fine, then it may not be getting enough amperage through the cables/terminals if they're corroded, once in the vehicle..

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

oil appared tbe normal color and level.
    all cable ends were cleaned and reattacked (reason last battery and stater was replaced was a bad cable so we now go to the cables first,LOL)

4. Confedneck

what year is the burban? if its fuel injected, a possibility is a bad oil pressure sending switch that tells the pump to turn on, but it should still crank.. starter relay could be bad, swap it with another..

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

it's a 90, and I also thought of the relay and fuel pump/oil preasure set up but it still should crank over.

6. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

just because you cleaned the ends doesn't mean the cable itself is still good. i've seen a few where there was so much corrosion inside the cable that it didn't let enough juice flow to the starter to start an engine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick

7. Confedneck

hes got a point with the corroded cables and not just the ends, try bypassing the cable with a jumper cable and if it cranks.. replace the cable..

8. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    my brother says i seized the motor, LMAO!!! if so then it was the nicest smoothest seize job,LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously it cant hurt to take a breaker bar to the front of the engine just to see that it turns over....i locked up a small block a few years back, i was driving along and the truck shut off, didnt hear a thing, coasted to the side of the road, swapped batteries, starter, and tryed to turn it over by hand.....but it was locked...

so it cant hurt, you'll either find the problem or be able to tell everyone that its not seized for sure.

9. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

It does sound like the oil pressure switch.
    Mine went out on my 87 and it did the same thing. Took me forever to find out what was wrong, but once it was replaced she started up just fine!

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

positive cable was replaced, same thing happens. also as you try to get it to crank the battery cable will try to straighten itself out.

11. biobry

biobry Registered Member

Recheck the starter...I recently replaced one that bench tested fine, but it didn't have enough torque to spin the engine...pos cable twitched from the current draw...sounds familiar!

Oh, and I'm new here!

Great site!

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I agree Jeremy, 2 of the many starters (you remember my ordeal)I replace on my burb actually bench tested as being perfectly good operating starters, but bolt it to a motor, and zilch.

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Welcome /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the starter was load tested. ie with it spinning you jamb a stick in it, if it is weak it will bogg down. if it is working right the stick will just get chipped to pieces. this one is a champ, plus the starter is 3 months old.

15. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Sounds like you're gettin a big power draw somewhere down the line. If that line is jumpin under load somethin ain't kosher. By the way, have you tried hand crankin the motor?? I can't remember if you wrote that you did or not. If it is seized that would explain the straightening of the positive cable. Good luck to y'all.

Allan

16. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I've also had the starter problem. It took 3 or 4 "good ones" to get one that worked on my motor.

I would double check all the wiring. The battery cables, the wires to the ignition switch and the grounds. Something caused the motor to stop running in the first place. I'd also double check the wiring at the altenator.

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

He believes the motor is screwed, he pm'ed me and told me that he couldn't get the motor to turn over with a breaker bar to the crank bolt or by the flexplate /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

That sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Well, guess he could drop the oil pan and investigate.

19. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

new cables, and battery, by passed the alternator.

all the power and switches are working the starter is getting all the power and yes as jeff stated..the motor will not turn with a breaker bar on the crank pulley or flywheel /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif [darn] .yeah spelled like duck

20. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear that. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Damn for it just to slowly seize is kinda weird. Esp. since you noticed no noise (from what you wrote)

Good Luck, you know where to find us...

John